2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering Linkage Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Linkage Upgrade

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the 52122362 AL steering linkage kit fit-up on a 2001? This is the Mopar upgrade for 2003-2010 models, but I've read some posts that claim it will also bolt directly up to 2000-2002 models as well. The dealerships will not recommend it but do not seem to know why it would not work. Given the numerous threads I've read saying it does indeed bolt right in, I'm very tempted to order one and find out. It's a long way to ship back if it doesn't fit though...

If anyone has tried this I would appreciate your feedback on any issues you may have come across. The only concern noted on other posts has been the stud sticking out a bit too far (possible wheel contact on 16" rims) but could simply be cut off to shorten it up.

Thanx
Old 12-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Michigan Ram
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the 52122362 AL steering linkage kit fit-up on a 2001? This is the Mopar upgrade for 2003-2010 models, but I've read some posts that claim it will also bolt directly up to 2000-2002 models as well. The dealerships will not recommend it but do not seem to know why it would not work. Given the numerous threads I've read saying it does indeed bolt right in, I'm very tempted to order one and find out. It's a long way to ship back if it doesn't fit though...

If anyone has tried this I would appreciate your feedback on any issues you may have come across. The only concern noted on other posts has been the stud sticking out a bit too far (possible wheel contact on 16" rims) but could simply be cut off to shorten it up.

Thanx
We have had several members do the conversion without issues. I think you are the first one to correctly stop at 2000 though, for that kudos.

Basically, for a 94-99 you would use the better 98/99 linkage, and for the 2000-2002 you would use the upgraded kit.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I did the upgrade on my 01 4x4 qc lb and it fit just fine. I did have to grind the top of the tie rod stud down a bit as they hit the wheel(stock 16inch wheels) but there was more than enough material, they are just long. Cant remember for sure but it may only been the pass side that I had to do that. Don't forget you will also need a new steering stabilizer as the old one with its mounting style wont work.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks guys, I searched all over the web yesterday and found a few more references to this setup also. Confident now, think I'll go ahead and place the order. I've heard the 17" wheels relieve the stud clearance issue, but there's a lot of difference in cost between 16 & 17 inch rims and tires. I have a cracked rim (slow leak) and tires are about worn out now so I'm ready to replace both anyway.

Hey guys, one additional question is whether I need to use the new pitman arm with this setup. I've read it doesn't fit onto my stock gearbox. No lift on my truck and I don't plan to add any. I've considered putting on a rebuilt gearbox, but would rather do this after the linkage & ball joints if it is still necessary to take up more "slop" in the steering.

Lastly, any suggestions for a moderately priced stabilizer? I know mine won't fit and it's likely shot by now anyway.

Thanx
Old 12-31-2015, 08:47 AM

I did not use a new pitman arm. I used my existing one. My steering stabilizer I went to Genos Garage
Dodge Ram Steering Dampers.
After 300k on mine I thought it would be shot as well but it really wasn't bad at all. I did notice that the Bilstein that I got from Genos was more like a shock and only had resistance one direction where as the stock one had resistance both directions.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am really glad I found this thread! I was about to start a new one asking the exact same thing! I would like to upgrade as well, but was concerned if it would actually fit. I don't want to have to do a lot of modifications. Please update with how the install goes once your finished! Pics would be AWESOME!

On the steering damper, I have heard that one that pushes like a shock is not exactly ideal for a steering damper. You want one that has equal resistance in both directions. Otherwise the damper will push your steering just like a shock.
You can get an OEM one from Geno's if you want.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:20 PM

Barry G,
How do you like your PDR HX35? I have be wondering how it compares to a stock HX35.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:49 PM

My 01 auto came with a HY35 9cm. The manual trucks came with the hx35 12cm. So I cannot give you a comparison. I can tell you that I have had it on for 250k+ miles and am quite happy with it. Yes it is more laggy than the hy but not by too much. I tried having Piers (the P in the original pdr) do what he called a Nasty 9 to my hy35. That thing worked well lag was very minimal but as soon as I added one more mod it barked so bad heck sometimes it would even bark under a good load going up the mountains but at shifts it was oh boy hope she don't blow. Got used to it after a while and drove around it best i could until I got the PDR HX35 and haven't looked back
Old 01-02-2016, 02:42 PM

I appreciate the information BarryG. I'll check my stabilizer before I buy a new one. I have about 230K on this one, so I just figured it would be bad by now, maybe not(?) Any way I go, seems mods are necessary to fit one up.

Reason I asked about the pitman was I had read a post stating that the angle of the stock one doesn't line up as well with the new linkage and creates more loading on the joint. Problem is the other side doesn't fit my stock gear box spline I believe. Sounds like yours lined up fairly well then?
Old 01-02-2016, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the info BarryG :-)

Something else to think about as far a stabilizers go, I have heard you don't really need one with the upgraded steering setup. I have no experience to back that up, just relaying what I've heard. May by worth trying if you want to save the money and/or work of making a mod to fit one on there. Also, I believe Synergy makes a clamp-on mount for the tie rod end of the stabilizer if you do want one. Saw it on DPP website I believe.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:23 PM

Sorry guys I was wrong on where I saw that clamp on stabilizer mount. It was made by Thuren, and I saw it on their site.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:06 PM

The upgrade comes with a mount it is just different style than the original and won't swap over. Just need to get an 08plus stabilizer.
I honestly would have thought the bilstein stabilizer would have been just that but it appears to be nothing more than a shock in sheeps clothing or should say description. my opinion would be that a stabilizer would have tension in both directions as well just like the stock one did. You may be able to run without one but why if anything the new setup will transfer even more shock and undulations through the steering it won't deflect nearly as much as the original since it is so much beefier. In any case I can say that mine works fine with the bilstein But if I were going to buy one again I may very well go with an oem
Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 PM

Thanks for clarifying that! I really don't know much about the steering upgrade other than that I want it
Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 PM

I've heard similar post comments about not needing one. Maybe, maybe not, but the cost is small compared to the rest of the front end components being replaced. Dampening any feedback can't be a bad thing I think. Thanks for the tip on the clamp Nate. Still need to make sure I get a stabilizer that will fit.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Sure Mike. I didn't realize you needed a different damper for the steering upgrade. I thought it just didn't have a mount for it on the tie rod. Sorry about that. If you don't mind, update the thread when you get it done so we all know how it went for you, and if you ran into any problems, total cost ect?

Thanks! I hope it goes well and is a great upgrade for you!

Quick Reply: Steering Linkage Upgrade