2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Slow heat up time

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slow heat up time

When it is around 5-10 degrees how long does it take your truck to warm up and what temp are you running at? I start my truck up and let it idle for about 5 minutes and it takes about 15-20 min for it to start blowing warm heat.. The whole time im running right between the first mark and the middle mark if im driving 60 or so but as soon as I slow down to like 30 it drops down to the first mark. Forgive me since I dont know the temps off the top of my head and its too cold to go out and look! Is my thermostat bad?
Old 12-21-2004, 01:14 AM
Banned

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change the thermostat. I just did mine and it seems to heat up quicker. Might be all in my head though. Even at 28*, it takes about 1 1/2 miles driving 40mph in 2nd gear before the needle ever moves. Luckily, I have about a 15 minute drive on the highway so it stays warm.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:22 AM

I plug mine in (goes on about 3 hours before start up time), then start it up, I let it warm up at about 1000 to 1100 rpm's, not good to let it warm up at idle. These engines are so efficient that they don't make much heat at idle, and the cylinder walls will thank you for not "washing them".

Anyways, after about 7-10 minutes I go back into truck and while not balmy, it is blowing enough warm air to have the windows defrosted enough to be able to see.

Try putting a winter front on or block the radiator in between the radiator and intercooler. Many use cardboard, but something more permanent would be better. A piece of plastic window material (lexan or comparable) is good, just cut it or have it cut to the correct size, leave enough at the top so you easily can grab it to remove. Also make sure you have about a 6 inch diameter hole cut in it right in front of the fan clutch to prevent overheating the fan clutch/blade problems.

I think you have better results when the front is in place. Try it with cardboard, if happy, then go to the plastic. Good luck, Kevin
Old 12-21-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Idling your engine when it's really cold (engine temp) is one of the worst things you can do to it.

Do yourself a favor, and your engine too. Start the truck and use it sensibly. Don't idle, but don't go WFO either. As soon as you have oil pressure, put it in gear and go!

Engines mated to auto trannies will warm up faster than those bolted to mannys like mine.

Removing the fan seems to help a little with warmup times as it reduces the amount of cold air blasting at the engine (I've had mine off since 1 October). Fanless is a good option for a stick shift.

Even with the grille blocked and running fanless, it takes at least 10 minutes driving around town before I will even see the needle move from pegged at cold. On the hwy, warmup is much faster (but you're burning a lot more fuel in lbs/hr too).

This is in Cheyenne, where typical winter mornings are 20s and 30s.

justin
Old 12-25-2004, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by HOHN
Idling your engine when it's really cold (engine temp) is one of the worst things you can do to it.
Removing the fan seems to help a little with warmup times as it reduces the amount of cold air blasting at the engine (I've had mine off since 1 October). Fanless is a good option for a stick shift.
I'm an OEM Engineer with diesel engines. Every winter we change the ECM programming to 1300 rpm high idle on Cummins engines.

Can you get the cold idle feature on your truck? I don't remember when it was started with the Dodge program.

Another option is the one I use on my 12 valve, a 50¢ stick between the seat and the pedal to bump the idle up to 1200 rpm. I also run fanless in the cooler months. Fanless means you CANNOT run the defroster or any heater setting that calls for A/C when idling. It will kill the A/C system from overheating and high pressure cut-out.

Start with cold fronts in the grill. Cut some cardboad and hold them in place with some cable ties or wire.

As kd460 stated PLUG IT IN. Best way to start the day (pun intended).

-John
Old 12-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Tom

Fueling around,

Some good advice..........

Tom
Old 12-26-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a large plastic 'For Sale' sign I drop between the intercooler and the radiator. It blocks 65% of the radiator. It helps keep the temp up and warmup goes a little faster. I can keep it in until the outside temps get up to about 70 degrees (useful with the weather swings we get in Virginia).
Lately I have been considering another sign to block the rest of the radiator, it's been so cold here.

I have an AT and sometimes powerbrake it to get the temp up faster too.

Chris