2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Puff black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Puff black smoke

Does it cause damage to your truck or harm it in any way if you modify it to blow loads of black smoke??

If so, what?

ps - I am not thinking about doing this at all I am just curious
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 PM

It can raise exhaust temperature very high, very fast. That can damage pistons and injectors. It can also damage the wallet when you have to pay for all that raw fuel!!!!!! Think 2 miles per gallon or less.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
It also gets the greenies hopped up to shut down diesel and nudge the EPA into more and more restrictions on our choice of transportation.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In some states it can cause flashing red and blue lights and an expensive piece of paper being provided to you .

Also not good for keeping your engine oil clean.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 PM

Its pretty much a waste as everyone else said. The biggest thing for me is giving us diesel owners a bad name.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 AM

yeah it raises temps really above a safe operating limit hard on internals and really hard on the wallet
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dezera
Does it cause damage to your truck or harm it in any way if you modify it to blow loads of black smoke??

If so, what?

ps - I am not thinking about doing this at all I am just curious
my truck smokes very little since i installed a timbo tps
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Ok thank everybody, I am not thinking about doing this at all I was just having a convorsation with my dad and this topic came up and we were talking about how its rediculus and then neither of us knew what damage it could cause so i figured this was the best place to find out Thank you everybody!! Now just one more question which does not require an answer because well, you'll get why when you read it... why does everybody do it if its so bad for their truck? (stupidity?)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM

You answered it stupidity. I mean like its pretty much impossible to have smoke free truck. I get a puff of it till the turbo spools up which is normal especially when im on level 5. Now the people that go though town just lugging the truck so they can smoke people out is bad. When I bought my truck the p.o had a silver bullet 66 on it(no injectors) It was bad driving normally. I pretty much had to drive in my rear view. Not to mention that was money going out the exhaust.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 AM

oh yea thats what i'm talking about is the people lugging it and modifying it to blow out tons of black smoke and smoke people out at stop lights and what not... mine smokes too when i start it but thats just a little puff, its not so much that it creates a vision hazard
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine makes a little puff every time I shift gears.
Here's a picture of me going down Main St from across the bay. Note my five shift points.

Name:  SmokingTruck.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dezera
Ok thank everybody, I am not thinking about doing this at all I was just having a convorsation with my dad and this topic came up and we were talking about how its rediculus and then neither of us knew what damage it could cause so i figured this was the best place to find out Thank you everybody!! Now just one more question which does not require an answer because well, you'll get why when you read it... why does everybody do it if its so bad for their truck? (stupidity?)
It all boils down to the old way of thinking that more smoke meant more power. Back in the 70's and before there was a little truth to that but in the same sense there was also the chance of damaging the engine from the high temps of unburned fuel. Fuel that is still burning in the exhaust is rapidly expanding and can drive the turbo even faster thereby forcing more air in. This was more of a big rig thing than pick ups. Actually it was before they put diesels in pickups. Now with electronic controls the fuel can be much more closely controlled and you can get every last BTU out of every drop so just like gasoline motors the horsepower ratings are way up along with the mileage figures. There are still some who want "The look". My favorite way of describing them is more money than brains.

Rick
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Mine makes a little puff every time I shift gears.
Here's a picture of me going down Main St from across the bay. Note my five shift points.

Hmmmm. Im thinkin you need a fresh fuel filter.. doesn't look like your at peak fueling potential.....
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lovinCTD59
Hmmmm. Im thinkin you need a fresh fuel filter.. doesn't look like your at peak fueling potential.....
Bill and mis-adjusted smoke screw...
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
It also gets the greenies hopped up to shut down diesel and nudge the EPA into more and more restrictions on our choice of transportation.
My old 85 phord smoked like heck, I used to enjoy pulling up next to say a Prius with a "Co-Exist" sticker on it But that was a couple years ago when I was young My 2nd Gen is Prius friendly

Quick Reply: Puff black smoke