2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates on install and driveability?
Old 04-01-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FlaCracker
Any updates on install and driveability?
Thanks for checking in. I still haven't installed the box and stabilizer bracket yet. I have had a lot of family priorities going in the last month. I hope to get it on soon. I'll post the results.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
if you are in SC, drop by & i can help, i have all the tools because I just put on an Advance OEM box, it helped alot, but i think a better box is the answer
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (04-01-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:52 AM

Albino99, what is going on? Month later, we are dying to know how the new steering box is doing? Having issues? Just checking in...thanks!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by FlaCracker
Albino99, what is going on? Month later, we are dying to know how the new steering box is doing? Having issues? Just checking in...thanks!
Ok, everyone! Here we go................... with my family life becoming so busy within the last several months I have had no free weekends to install my new PSC SG850 steering box, I decided to have a reputable local diesel shop install it for me and have the truck properly aligned. I received a phone call today from the shop explaining that my new PSC box would not mate up to the OEM pitman arm. The shop explained over the phone that they investigated this box on PSC's website and noticed all the boxes offered online came with pitman arms, adapter brackets, and shortened tie-rod end. My first reaction was, "Huh?! I don't remember seeing that for the SG850 steering box! I told the shop I would get to the bottom of this and find out whats going on. I contacted PSC and waited for a long 15 minutes on hold until someone helped me. I explained my situation and they told me that the SG850 box was their previous "older" model. They explained that Summit Racing should have updated their inventory when I bought it from them.........to include the added items (pitman arm, brackets, tie-rod, etc). The PSC representative on the phone explained that I could order the correct matching pitman arm based on the size of the sector shaft threads. The rep put me on hold and checked for price/availability. During that time, I was disconnected from phone line (what gives?). Being frustrated, I gave up and had to go back to work (called during my lunch break @ work). I decided to call Summit Racing and tell them about the obsolete part (according to PSC) and explain not having the correct pitman arm for it. They simply said to send it back for a refund and told me the new updated steering box (PSC-SG852) is on back order! Are you kidding me? Sheesh. So here is the situation: PSC-SG850: This is the older XD box requiring an adapter for the steering shaft to fit and also does not come with a pitman arm. 13:1 steering ratio
PSC-SG852K3: Latest steering box for the "T" style steering linkage, includes spacers, shorter tie-rod, and proper pitman arm. 16:1 steering ratio
Because my truck is sitting in the shop until this gets resolved, I pumped out another $700 dollars and decided to have the SG852K3 box shipped directly to the shop from Geno's Garage (Only company who had this steering box in stock)

Frankly, this steering fiasco has really mentally drained me and has gotten so convoluted. I hope this new steering box works out of the box with no additional parts needed. I just want my steering fixed once and for all.

BTW: I also found out that my Dodge Off Road steering stabilizer brace for the PSC box requires a 1.75" sector shaft nut for the SG852 model boxes!!!!!! Now I have to get the right one from DOR. Someone remind me why I am doing this again?

Updates results to follow............stay tuned and thank you for being patient.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
That sounds like a carp show.
Sorry to hear. I will stay tuned for the end results.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:36 PM

What a cluster! Man, sorry for your woes. You are the pioneer, you are doing a solid for all your Cummins brothers...paving the way forward, venturing into the new frontier!!!! Don't you fell better now???

Seriously, sorry for your pain, that really sucks! Keep us posted, hopefully this will be worth it in the end!

As Mel Gibson said in the "The Patriot", "STAY THE COURSE!!!!!!"
The following users liked this post:
04ctd (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
makes me feel better about my $150 Advance box.

the guy who helped, left the pitman arm loose, i tightened it up &
I put a $45 ebay brace on my Advance box, and it drives GREAT now, not quite perfect, not a sports car but GREAT for a ~18 year old truck
Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Exclamation

Today, I decided to call Dodge Off Road (DOR) and leave a phone message after hours about my PSC steering box brace not working with the new SG852 box I ordered. I was shocked that someone on the other line picked up and said "Dodge Off Road, how can I help ya?" The DOR employee on the line was a guy named, Chris. He was super friendly and listened to my whole story about the box. He felt horrible about my whole issue and explained that indeed, the SG850 box has been superseded by the SG852. He told me the SG852 has a much larger housing and requires a 1" offset with the provided spacers. I told him I bought the DOR steering brace for my original SG850 box. Now that I'm going to the newer SG852, will the DOR steering brace work? The answer from Chris was "NO". My heart sank, $300 dollars down the toilet on a custom built-to-order steering box brace that now won't work. Chris was quick to say, " No worries! Just send back the brace and I'll swap you for the SG852 brace." Oh wow! Seriously?! I was shocked by this sort of customer service. Chris reassured me that DOR is based on great customer service and that they want happy customers who feel good about their products & service in the end. We chatted on the phone for about 15 minutes and Chris answered all my questions and was straight up with me. This call proved to me that they are a great business to deal with and that they are fair on helping the customer out. Chris also explained that they have a strong business relationship with PSC and base almost all their steering products around PSC boxes. So far, this is one item that seems to be going right. More to come on the box itself.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Very good...excellent. Sounds like it is going to work out, look forward to the updates. Have great weekend!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:28 PM

Exclamation Update

I'm happy to report that the shop successfully installed the new PSC SG852 steering box. I recieved a phone call this afternoon that my pickup is all good to go and ready to be picked up. Can't wait to drive it! I'll be posting pictures and first impressions of driving it. The shop said this was by far the beefiest steering box they have ever installed on a diesel pickup.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 PM

Sounds great, look forward to update. That will be next thing I do after my head replacement.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:15 PM

Exclamation Final Update

Ok guys, here it is! The final results of the PSC SG852 steering box. First impressions........... the steering wheel is much tighter and I am not finding myself sawing the steering wheel back and forth on the road. There is still just slightly some play in the wheel. I honestly think that is because I still have the OEM style track bar on the truck. I also have not installed the DOR steering brace for the new box yet. Turns out, I confirmed that the sector shaft extension nut is the only difference between the 2 PSC braces offered by DOR. They simply said to send back the 1.25" size sector shaft extension nut and it would be swapped for the 1.75" (which is what is required for the SG852). I am really happy that this steering installation fiasco is coming to an end. I drove the pickup 340 miles over the weekend and enjoyed not having to corral the truck inside my lane. The turning radius ability in parking lots is great, no issues there. Note: I am running the stock power steering pump with no issues. I attached some pictures of it installed. Hope these help others prepare for what they need and clears any confusion on the installation process.
Attached Thumbnails PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1591.jpg   PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1592.jpg   PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1598.jpg   PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1599.jpg   PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1597.jpg  

Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Excellent...my next upgrade!
Old 02-15-2019, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how is it still working

looking to fix my 2001 2500 steering and was wondering if this is still working good? any other comments or suggestions Thanks

Quick Reply: PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box