2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Power Window Operation

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Window Operation

Hello to you all - This is my first post to this forum since joining so please bear with me. I purchased a 1999 SLT 2500 Quad cab 4WD long bed w/ the 5.9 Cummings back in May. It's a great truck but as a couple issues that you might be able to help me with. They are small in nature but as a group bug me to my limit. I'm working on them one at a time and one of the things I'd like to change is the wiring to my power windows. The original owner had messed with the electrical wiring putting in some accessories, but in this case I believe Dodge set up the operation of the power windows to function only when the ignition key is turned two clicks clockwise to the pre-start position. I would like to be able to operate the windows when the ignition is off, or at the very least when it is turned to the accessories position (one click counter-clockwise). I was wondering if any of you had made this adjustment and could give me any pointers. I know I'll have to dig into the wiring harness coming out of the door and change or add a power lead so any tips or knowledge of color codes you might know would be appreciated. The truck did not come with an owner's manual. I did purchase a Chilton manual but the wiring schematics are limited. Thanks for your time in reading this and for any responses you may afford.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard!

For the power windows, I have always wanted to do that too. In the side fuse panel there are resetable fuses in there for both the windows and the power seats. If you work from the back side of the panel (inside of the dash) you may be able to pick out a power source for the windows that is on the accessory circuit and take off the lead going to the fuse from IGN and solder in ACC. Personally I would have to test to see the amp draw and needed source to run the windows as it may need a separate relay to run that so you don't blow the ACC circuit. I've just never had the time to do that switch, but always grit my teeth having to turn the key to IGN to get the windows down.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here you go> http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...-all-time.html
Beware if you window switches are lighted, you're going to have to somehow put the lights out or it will drain your battery.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:58 PM

Thanks for replying Lil Dog, and thanks for the information. Attacking it from the back of the side fuse panel is a great suggestion. Once access to the backside of the panel is gained, and with test meter in hand, an effective rewiring fix shouldn't be that difficult. Thanks again. I'll let you know how I made out so when you find the time to change yours you won't make the same mistakes I'm about to.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Thanks for replying infidel, and for sending the link to Cummings Forum on full time power to the windows. BIG help!! You've saved me a lot of time and effort. I do have lighted switches but will figure a way around it. You've given me a big shove on fixing this annoyance and I thank you.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I just made a short jumper out of two u-shaped connectors and wire. Plug the wire into the cold side of the power window fuse , which gets removed, and the hot side of the power seat fuse.

Full time power windows. On mine the window switches and lock switch do stay lit, but my truck has sat for over three weeks and still fired right up.

Also, drop the 'G' in Cummins!!

It will get you hassled if you don't!! Ha ha
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 PM

Thanks SIXSLUG for helping me out...on both issues. I see you are a card carrying member of the CDC. Up to about a month ago I could have been Vice-President of that distinguished Club. I called it my golf dashboard (18 holes) until I replaced it. Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering about the full time windows for the simple fact of security and having little ones around. Good luck with the mod!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 PM

I'm sure that's why Dodge set the windows to function only when the key is turned on - for child safety. All my kids are grown now and a couple of them even have kids of their own. I'll be d**** if any of those little rug rats ride in my truck.

When asked if he liked children, W.C. Fields replied, "Kids?! Sure I like kids...if they're cooked right."
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by pnelson3
Thanks SIXSLUG for helping me out...on both issues. I see you are a card carrying member of the CDC. Up to about a month ago I could have been Vice-President of that distinguished Club. I called it my golf dashboard (18 holes) until I replaced it. Thanks again.
No problem! Now that's funny^^^golf dashboard!!