2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Power steering pump leak O-ring???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering pump leak O-ring???

It has taken me a while to figure out where my PS fluid leaks were coming from but I finally figured out where the latest one is. last week it was the fluid foaming up and coming out the filler cap and replacing the fluid with synthetic seems to have taken care of that issue. I Simple Greened the engine to see it there were more...which I found

Now my current leaking/seepage is coming from the seam where the power steering pump meets the resivoir. I am not sure how these 2 parts go together and if I could just tighten a few bolts to stop the seepage or if I have to pull it apart and replace an o-ring or something.

Any advice or explaination is greatly appreciated
Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll make it easy for you.
My guess is fluid from the foaming overflow is just down in the seam and taking it's time to come out. It's on the outside, not coming from the inside.
As long as it isn't dripping I'd just keep my eye on the level and hope the seep goes away.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoJoe

Now my current leaking/seepage is coming from the seam where the power steering pump meets the resivoir. I am not sure how these 2 parts go together and if I could just tighten a few bolts to stop the seepage or if I have to pull it apart and replace an o-ring or something.

There is a large O ring that goes around the pump, then the reservoir slides over it and is bolted on. They will dry out and leak. O'reilly's sells a rebuild kit for Saginaw pumps (about $17) that includes the large o-ring and the two small ones that go where the bolts go in. I'm not at home right now, but if you can't find one let me know in a few days and I'll see if I can find the part number.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 AM

This is definately a leak and not residual from the foaming over. I cleaned the engine pretty good with simple green and hot water. There are still new puddles forming in the driveway. Since it was clean I was able to pinpoint that it was coming out the seam where the pump meets the resivior.

I was just outside and tried tightening the bolts and the top bolt was tight and I might have got almost an additional 1/8 turn on the bottom bolt. So it looks like if I want to get rid of the leak, which I do, I need to replace the O-rings.

Is there anything that I should watch out for, tips, tricks, etc? I am guessing it is just drain the pump, remove the 2 bolts, replace the 3 O-rings and reassemble. Anything else?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:38 PM

You may also have to remove the pressure fitting. While you have it apart take a few minutes to disassemblethe valve and clean the screen with brake cleaner. You will need a vice and a 11mm box end. IIRC the spring should be 2 inches long. This might help. The pic in post #3 shows the two bolts still installed and the pressure fitting removed. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...ssist-fix.html
It may be easier if you remove the pump from the truck.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Name:  PowerSteeringParts.jpg
Views: 10530
Size:  31.1 KB
Old 03-25-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanks for all the info...

Infidel, I could have used that photo the weekend before when I was changing out the fluid to synthetic which took care of the foaming over and whining issue. Took me quite a while and a magnifying glass to find that screen since I really didn't know where to look. I did try getting the flow piston apart but it kept spinning in the rubber jaws that I put on the vice. It did look pretty clean.

I did replace the o-ring on Sunday and did it in place which was a little bit of a pain but I got it done. It did slow the leak down but it is still leaking. I did notice one thing on the pump...remfg...and I thought I still had the original one installed. I guess the old owner lied about nothing being done in the engine compartment...

With the way the resovior slides over the pump with the flared flange on the resovior seating on the o-ring, it seems that the bolts are bottoming out before the resovior is completely seated. It did look like the resovior case was bent in a little on the bolt side. Do you think that bending out the bolt side a little would get the o-ring to seat better stopping the leak? Or would I just be better off just replacing the whole pump assembly? I am going to try to just get a rubber mallet in there to try tapping it on deeper in place but there is not alot of swinging room so I'm not planning on it taking care of the leak.

I'm just real tired of spots in the driveway and want to get this leak stopped.