2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Post here what the Kool-Vue tow mirror loo like

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mirrors arrived today, right on time. They look just like the OEM mirrors. I will be installing them over the weekend. I will keep everyone informed after the installation is complete.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 AM

I was wondering when some company would figure out that we wanted power/heated two mirrors on our 2nd generation trucks. Dang If I had only waited a year I could have bought a set instead of swapping mine out
Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Thumbs up

After reading this and seeing them on ebay i decided to check on buying them I went through a friend that owns a body shop and bought a set. $279.00 later they arrived within 5 days of ordering. 1st set came for 03-05 which I'm assuming might have been caused by the fact that they are so new on the market. We reordered and sent them back within 5 days the second set came which was correct for my truck. I excitedly remove both door panels and remove the door panels and remove my factory heated power mirrors off my truck to start the install first thing i notice when removing the stock mirrors is that my mirrors use smaller bolts than the tow mirrors have. I had bought a stock tow mirror for the pass side about a month ago from a wrecking yard with the intent on converting a stock set to heated and power with a pass side 05 mirror I have laying around. The nuts work perfect on it. I start my install on the pass side and realize that the studs in the mirror are not long enough to grab the bolts when the backing plate is put on. after messing with it for about 10 min i decided to take a closer look at why. The stock mirror supports have a tang bent at a 90 degree and it was making contact with the door frame. I ground a 1/16 of an inch off of it and it was just enough to get one nut started. a few turns get the rest of the studs through the plate to get a nut started on them. I snug them in a alternating patern untill the reach roughly 20 in/lbs. I noticed while tighening that the door fram was getting pulled in a bit. It has me wondering if maybe all the trucks with factory non-towing mirrors will do this b/c of never having the stock ones in place. the panel might have pulled together a 1/8 of a inch but did not effect the appearance outside any. The next day I go back to the salvage and get a backing plate and more bolts and do the drivers side. did the same thing the pass side did with only one bolt getting started.I get it bolted down and start reinstalling the driver side door panel. the top mirror bolt does interfere but if you have a dremel or some other form of cutting device you can easily correct it. On my install I noticed that the mirror switch has a glob of silicone compound on it and that there is almost a 1/4 inch of it before you reach the wires. I neatly trimed it off with a slight angle on the inner edgeand put it back together. Over all in my opinion I am impressed! They look like stockers and no vibrations going down the highway at 70 miles an hour. They do feel lighter than the oem tow mirrors and the might not be built to exact specs as the stockers but they perform their functions well, and it beats buying 2 sets to make into 1. There is a small gap maybe 1/16in in the space bewteen the outer window rubber and the base but it easily cured of forgotten about after the install. BOTTOM LINE though !!If you are putting these on in place of stock non-tow mirrors you will have to make a backing plate or buy the backing plate for the dc tow mirrors!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 PM

hey, that goood to here it worked out good for you, I didn't realize before that the trucks that had the smaller mirrors didn't have the support plates.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM

Kinda strange, Dodge says they will not offer them because of no demand. I don't understand why they are being back ordered.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 PM

They hosed me.....

I ordered on 1/28/08, confirmed in stock status before ordering. My CC was charged the full amount that day. On 2/05/08 I received the box with only one mirror, the left side. I called customer service three times, got three different answers.
1. Sorry, we'll send it out! Bye, hangs up.(never even asked my order number)
2. Sorry, right side mirror broken, last one, two week or more wait.
3.We will send it out right away!

Then last night I get an email..

"

Hi,

We regret to inform you that we cannot ship part# DG49ER RH side Mirror because it is not available. We already credited you in your account for a total of $170.71.

Thank you. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Irene

Carpartswholesale

So I got one mirror and a have a nice day.

These people suck!

Now I have to get a RMA return number and get a refund for the one I have, and I even get to pay for the return postage!
This will probably be a nightmare!

Sam
Old 02-10-2008, 01:59 PM

That sucks, I wonder if there is anywher else that sells them, with better customer service.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 PM

Installation

Well, I was able to install my new mirrors on Saturday. Only two little setbacks. First, the (3) bolts on the mirrors were a little shorter than the ones on my manual tow mirrors. They were about an 1/8" shorter. I had to really struggle to get the bolts through to install the nuts. Once they were on, I had no problem tightening them up. The second problem was the back of the mirror control interfered with one of the bolts and nut from the mirror. I had to shave off about an 1/8" from the control to make it work. Other than that, the install went pretty smooth. All the connectors fit perfectly. As soon as everything was plugged in, they began to work. It took a total of about 3 hours to do the complete install. I am very happy with these mirrors. Look just like the OEM. It is great to finally have power mirrors! I will get some pictures up in a couple of days,
Old 02-11-2008, 12:34 AM

So how many of you are replacing factory non-power towing mirrors with these? Is it a big hassle to add the switches, or pretty much a straight up deal?

BTW, those that have replaced manual towing mirrors, let me know. I will then PM you in regards to them. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 AM

Adding the switches is straight forward. You need to get the heater controls becouse they have the button for the mirror heat and you need to get the joystick thing that controls them, which consist of 3 parts the **** the nut and the control. The wiring was there. It is a pretty straight foward task.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 AM

Installation

I replaced my non-powered tow mirrors with the powered and heated tow mirrors. I bought the heater control module with the mirror heater button and the remote control **** and nut through Dodge. All the wiring and connectors were already in the doors. The new mirrors had all the correct connectors and were "plug and play". It was a very straight forward installation.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by dg95677
I replaced my non-powered tow mirrors with the powered and heated tow mirrors. I bought the heater control module with the mirror heater button and the remote control **** and nut through Dodge. All the wiring and connectors were already in the doors. The new mirrors had all the correct connectors and were "plug and play". It was a very straight forward installation.

Where did you get your Mirrors from?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 PM

Installed

Here are some pictures of my newly installed power & heated mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails Post here what the Kool-Vue tow mirror loo like-100_0063-764-x-573-.jpg   Post here what the Kool-Vue tow mirror loo like-100_0064-764-x-573-.jpg   Post here what the Kool-Vue tow mirror loo like-100_0067-764-x-573-.jpg   Post here what the Kool-Vue tow mirror loo like-100_0068-600-x-450-.jpg  
Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM

Anyone take pics of their installation?? I've read everything on this thread and I've heard about support plates, short bolts, long bolts, different nuts, shaving this, cutting that, etc etc etc....
I have power non-two mirrors and would LOVE to throw my strap-ons into the river! Does ANYONE have these in stock?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:48 PM

Kool-Vue's website lists both mirrors (left and right) as "Call for Availability"!!!

Quick Reply: Post here what the Kool-Vue tow mirror loo like