2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help me!

I purchased a 2002 ram 2500 cummins 4x4 last night with 81k, and noticed right before I drove off the lot that the tail lights did not work, the brake lights came on, as well as the turning signals, but no running lights. But thinking I can fix the issue I decided to make the 70 mile drive back home and fix it then. Once I got home I replaced the fuse under the hood for the break lights, and every time I would turn the lights on it would throw a fuse, this goes even after I removed the 60amp towing relay and put in a 25 fuse to see what would happen. I am not in any way having buyers remorse because I cummins is a cummins, but I expected the gremlins to come about after a few months, not after the truck had just passed a state saftey inspection on 12/14. The gague cluster does not light up either, neither do any of the other internal blue indigo lights for the radio, air con, but the door switch lights do, I replaced some fuses and still nothing. Luckily the guy I bought it from is a good ol' boy, and said he'd fix all of it at the dodge dealership because he wanted to sell me a truck that was up to par for him. I would however like to fix the tail light issue because I have to commute to work in the dark every morning, and thus would be driving with no running lights. please help me out, I'll try anything, I know a fair share about electrical systems, and would really appreciate any help you guys would have for me!! Thank you and much obliged.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:06 PM

Check and see if your number plate lights are working.They can short and cause the fuse to blow ,btdt till I put in a new light.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the advice Don T, after further reviewing the situation it looks like the previous owner had hardwired a second aux trailer wiring harness that was hard wired into the main electrical system that runs under the drivers side frame rail. My guess is that it was probably for a 5th wheel or a camper. However the wiring job gave me the chills as I unravelled the electrical tape it was no wonder why it had shorted out, and therefore incapacitated the gague cluster and running lights. After a good while of unsplicing, souldering, and re-insulating everything seems to be operating perfectly. I did check the license plate lights however and noticed that both bulbs were fried, as were the running light filaments on both tail-lights bulbs, my guess is that a pretty un-experienced and untrained person got their hands on it. After going over all the relays, fuses and most electrical wires in the truck I am now much more well aquainted with the truck, and am less worried about electrical gremlins taking over my new pride and joy. Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM

codyguy

Glad to see you got it back working. I had my lights go out this week also. That turned out to be the center cab light had water inside the light and caused a short. most times I have light problems its the connection for my fiver under the bumper. I clean and get everything working great. I think I will move the plug to inside the box so it will be out of the weather and make a long cord so when I use the dump trailer I can plug it into the same plug.Where I live SALT causes a lot of problems with wires.