2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

alfaOBD???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alfaOBD???

Hi all, been awhile since I've posted here. I still have my 99 3500 and wanting to do some diagnostics on it. I found out about the alfaOBD over at my Dart forum but it's fuzzy to me just how many vehicles it is compatible with. I don't plan on keeping the dart forever but my truck will carry me to the grave. That is if it doesn't die first. do any of y'all use the app on the gen 1 & 2 dodge Ram with the 5.9L? I wish it would work with more than just Chrysler products. Oh, now I only have 97k on the beast.
Thanks for any knowledge y'all can share
Old 06-22-2020, 11:05 AM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
From the home page of alphaOBD.com: "AlfaOBD is a software for the diagnostics of the vehicles produced by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) group. Fiat / Alfa Romeo / Lancia cars produced in 1994-2017, and Chrysler / Dodge / Ram / Jeep cars of model years 2005-2017 are supported"

From that, support for Dodge vehicles does not start until the 2005 model year. You might get lucky and find that it works for some parameters on the later second-gens - but I suspect that if there is any overlap, it's quite limited. I suggest checking with alphaOBD to see if they have expanded coverage beyond what they list on their home page - many times, companies don't keep their website as up-to-date as they should.

I have a 12-valve (so I'm not sure what you have on a '99 for PCM data and functional tests) but I'd suggest something like a Foxwell or a used former-pro-level scan tool, depending on your budget and level of interest/ability. There are lots of choices out there. You may eventually want a graphing-multi-meter/scope for signal/current analysis that you can't do with a scanner. I started with the Snapon 2500 (the "brick") and a Vantage, and moved up to a Modis as I got newer vehicles not covered by the 2500 & Vantage. You might take a look at AESWave.com and see what they offer. If you need a scope, they offer a 1-channel scope that seems good and there are youtube videos
Old 06-22-2020, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the info Fellow Texan texasprd. I have the 24 valve with all the bells and whistles of which most don't work anymore. I was hoping to use it to see if it would localize my horn short. Already tried switching the relay. I fear it may be in the airbag/horn switch and if it is then it's horn button time because you have to replace that as a unit and they are $200 used on eBay. I found out about the alpha over at the Dart forum but hesitated to buy it for the Dart since I don't plan on keeping it much longer. The Alpha site didn't give much info on what exact models it works with. It was a hopeful thought to have something that will work in real time plus be cheap like me. I'll look into some of those other options you listed. Thank you so much.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:28 PM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm guessing alphaOBD is essentially an app that gives scan-tool functionality? Unless there is a body-control-module or the like that controls the horn on a '99, I don't think a scan-tool or scan-tool app will do you much good. Sounds like multimeter and wiring-diagram time. I believe Geno's Garage has the repair manuals, or you can get individual vehicle-based subscriptions to factory repair info on AllDataDIY.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:22 PM

I have done some meter trouble shooting with it going by my schematic but I'm fearing the issue is going to be at the steering wheel I'll pull the assembly and discionnect it there then see if it's still shorted.