2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Overhead Consol CB mounting help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overhead Consol CB mounting help

Hi,

First off, my name is Nick, and I am a conductor on Amtrak (the national passenger rail network). Im interested in trucks, trains, and anything else with big diesel engines. I am working on a 1999 1/2 ton Ram. No its not a diesel, I dont intend on keeping this truck long, but i didnt want to learn how to do things on a 50 thousand dollar truck. My next vehicle is planed to be a 2500 ram with a cummins though. This is mostly a project truck, I use it as a daily driver, but want to add a lot of aftermarket accessories and have no clue on how to install them. My current project is an overhead console that will hold a CB radio, PA/Siren system and controls for a lightbar. On to the questions.

I am intending to start with the CB and the Overhead Console. I am curious what kind of consoles are on the market? Is such a console even made? Where would I find a console at? What type of CB would you recomend? Antenas? How do I wire a CB into the vehicles electrical system?

Thanks for your help. I will proably be back with more questions later. It should be noted this is a base model truck with no options other than AC and a CD player.

-Nick
Old 08-13-2004, 12:32 PM

Look here .
Old 08-13-2004, 03:52 PM

Thanks, I will be adding that to my truck ASAP, thanks
Old 08-15-2004, 06:08 PM

I got a "Shelf-it" from www.jcwhitney.com .

Almost all of the radios I have used/owned are/were Cobra. Different variants of the 25 and 29 models. I did buy a Midland yesterday. Most radios use a 2 wires. One pos. lead and one ground. The Midland I bought has one groung and 2 hot leads. One is for when it is on, and the other is for the memory presets, as like a car radio would have. It is best to hook the hot wire straight to the battery for less chance of electrical "noise". You want to try to hook the ground wire to its own screw, for the same reason as the hot wire.

You can compare different radios at www.walcottcb.com . They also have links to the various radio manufactures. I was in their store today, as it so happens. Very helpful. Had them test a radio of mine this afternoon. I would call them up. They could probably help make a recommendation on the antennas. I use Barjan and K40 antennas.