2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

No Heat In The Cab In My Dad's 99 Dually....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Heat In The Cab In My Dad's 99 Dually....

even though there's nothing obviously wrong. No heat coming up out of the dash and no heat down below, nothing. There's no ***** broken, switches damaged, frozen or not working, the fan works, there's nothing obviously broken or disconnected that he's been able to see looking under the dash, everything works, except there's no heat. The a/c works just fine. The dealer in Phoenix, who my dad says "doesn't know trucks" told him to go ahead and "write out a check for $800 and that'll cover removing the dash....then we'll start looking for the problem". Needless to say he didn't write the check....not because he couldn't afford it but because "the dealer in Spokane WA will know exactly what's wrong with my truck and probably before they get it parked and I leave there to go back to the ranch". Now being Snowbirds full time and living in Casa Grande AZ and not having a heater in your truck isn't a major affair....it's NICE there in the winter (usually). However, they have some acreage just north of Spokane and it isn't quite as warm there as it is in AZ, not yet anyways. And I'm sure they're going to at least need a defroster on the way up north tho a fully functional heater would be a joy to behold too!! The arrival date will be mid May and I mentioned that maybe the smartest people who know Dodge Cummins trucks and about your (my dad's) lack of heat in the cab are as close as your/my computer right here on the DTR forums. So let's ask these guys!!! O.K. We're asking....anyone have any ideas on why my dad's dually is lacking BTU's in the cab??? Thanks for your help everyone!!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:50 AM

Do a search here for " No Heat " lots of info to help you...blend door is probably stuck closed...easy fix.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 AM

Arrow Problem Diagnosed ----- Non-use!!!!!!!

*UPDATE*

My dad took his dually into the Dodge dealer in Spokane here last week as they arrived up from Arizona for the summer. After inspecting his non working heater problem they found:

the heater core was PLUGGED. CAUSE?? APPARENT NON-USE!!!

Seems like they winter over in sunny Arizona so there's no need (usually) for the heat to be on in the truck. Then they go to sunny Spokane for the summer so there's no need (usually) for the heat to be on there either. Apparently, FROM LACK OF USE, there was a plug of "debri" blocking the hot water from getting to the heater core thereby making it so the heater was INOP. So instead of a possible dash removal and the expense that would involve, they charged him less than $100 to flush the cooling system and install new antifreeze in addition to the labor needed. My dad was left to wonder what the debri was and how it got there as he regularly services his truck and when he can't do it he takes it in, preferably to a Cummins shop and if that's not available then to the Dodge dealer. Anyway and apparently you have to use that heater once and awhile in order to keep things flowing. While this diagnosis & fix won't work for everyone, IF I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM IN MY 2nd GEN, I now know where I'd start looking and what I'd do first.