2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

No Brake Lights, and other Misc. Goodness

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Brake Lights, and other Misc. Goodness

I did a search, and came up with a few things it could be for one or two problems, but I've got a couple. And its two in the morning and cold outside, so I may as well get some input on this.

I have no brake lights, third light included. Fuses (as of a two weeks ago, problem has been around longer though) all look good. I was thinking brake switch, but it will still kick off the cruise. Is the switch a two stage, so it could still kill the cruise and not turn on the lights, and vice versa?

Second, when I use my right turn signal (hazards do it too), both reverse lights will flash with it. Left signal light does not do this though. But when I put the truck in reverse, the lights do not light up. I read that the signal/flasher switch in the column could be the culprit, but does the signal to the reverse lights go through it?

Lastly, the previous owner of the truck cut the wires from the tailgate to the truck for the running lights to remove the tailgate. I was using a test light to check which wire was positive, and was getting nothing (the park lights were on when I was testing for it.) All other running lights are in working order. I also don't have DRLs (Canadian truck), but I'm unsure if they are required on a 1-ton in 98. I've seen many 2nd gen trucks both with and without DRLs, so that doesn't make it any clearer.

Now I'm wondering if a good short/grounding issue is causing all this good stuff, or its unrelated problems raising its ugly heads at the same time.

I appreciate any and all input on this. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:35 AM

You have wiring problems. It sounds like some connections are broken and others are shorted together. I doubt the brake switch is bad. Follow the harness and look for breaks, cuts or old repairs. The only way to find this is to follow it out and check.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:56 PM

Check for a bad ground at your tail lights. That would cause the light problems. It should be an 18ga BLACK wire that the back-up lamps use also. The brake light switch should be a three stage switch (6 wires). Terminals 1&2 (farthest from the plunger) are for the RWAL/ABS module, 3&4 are for the speed control circuit, and 5&6 (closest to the plunger) are for the brake light circuit. If you have power in and out of the switch then you have to start tracing the wiring and find the problem. I have seen the multi-function switch be the culprit.
Tom
Old 10-08-2005, 06:12 PM

It should have the daytime running lights (my '95 does). Check for the module located on the drivers side front fender. When it fails people just disconnect it so there are no DRL at all. Disconnecting it will also make the high beam indicator in the instrument panel stop working.