2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

New to the world of diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New to the world of diesel

I'm brand new to the diesel world and just wanted to get a little input from ya'll. I just bought a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4 x 4 with the Cummins diesel in it. If you guys have any tips on suggested maintenance, after market ideas, etc. please let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to DTR kwinter and congradulations on your purchase.

If your looking for aftermarket accessories for your truck, check out our Performance and Aftermarket Accessories for 2nd Gen trucks.

There a lot of great info in that section.

Rich
Old 05-26-2004, 04:25 PM
DPG

Welcome to the site, kwinters, and to CTD ownership. If you don't know when your truck was last seviced, I'd change the oil and filter, fuel filter, and check the air filter. Also, if it's an automatic transmission, I'd change the filter and fluid. Also, check the differentials. Depending on the mileage, you might want to change the diff. fluid, also. I know it sounds kind of extreme, but that way you know that your maintenance is up to date.

If you don't have one, get a fuel pressure gauge, or a least have your fuel pressure checked. The second gen 24 valve CTD's have a history of weak lift pumps, which can cause an injector pump failure. That's about a $1500 repair.
Your fuel pressure should be about 15 psi at idle, and should never go below 8 psi.

As for aftermarket ideas, check out the forum named: "Performance-Accessories 1st, 2nd gen only." You've landed at Aftermarket Central.

But before you start looking, hide your credit cards. Bombing is contagious, and usually incurable. Bombing: Better OF Modified, Baby.

You'll like it here. There are a lot of great, knowledgeable people.

DeWain

P.S. Fill out your signature with the details of your truck (see my sig.) That way, we can be more specific with advise or help that we give.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:05 AM

kwinters, I am also new to this SPORT....man there are some great people on this BB....they are very helpful. I just kicked back and read a bunch of diffrent threads and did some searches. If I could not find what I was looking for I put a post up. I got my problem fixed in a flash. It seems that most of the guys will jump right in and try and help you out. Good luck with your new rig and like DPG said hide your Credit card....you can dump some cash in a hurry!
Old 05-27-2004, 02:43 AM

Hi, kwinters I am new to diesels to, this forum is the best there is for advice and guidance. I have learnt so much from these guys and feel quite confident to tackle most jobs on my truck once the parts arrive from the States. Just had a new 4" custom stainless exhaust fitted with 2x6" tips, houses move when I go past now (laws are a little more relaxed in the UK).

Anyway enjoy your monster.