2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

My security system won't let me start...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My security system won't let me start...

I get in the truck, insert the key, turn it clock-wise instantly, normal indicator lights come on, but then instantly it all shuts down.

My FOB is made by code alarm, with four buttons. lock, unlock, trunk, and red alarm. It isn't the DC teardrop shaped FOB with lock, unlock, panic.

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I diddled with the buttons for a few monents and it fired right off.

Give some advise to a modern gizzmo challanged person, please.

Oh, it's still not going. It does make a sound like the alarm is on, but I do not know where, or how to turn it off. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 AM

look for a small black button somewhere under the dash, you might try turning the key on and off and pushing the button, then try starting it.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM

LanceD,
I apprecite your help. I dinked with the thing off and on yesterday as I was doing various projects, thinking the thing might (somehow) clear itself.

It had happened once when I was leaving church and I just pushed a few of the buttons in a random order I surely could not duplicate and it started after about 1 minute of playing with it.

Last night I finally decided to clean both battery terminals. I noticed someone had probably used one of those terminal cleaners that grind out the material and usually scrape too much leaving the clamp unable to tighten as much as it should--instead of the wire brush method).

Well, I took a lead sinker, cut off a chunk, pounded out a piece the size of your small finger nail. Cleaned the terminals and clamp good, inserted the lead sliver around the post as I installed the clamp. Had to do all 4 terminals the same way.

Fired right off!

Hey, fuel probably went up .10 gal. while I was messing with it, and that was one day!! Thanks. len
Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 PM

glad you got it figured out!