2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Luke's link gone bad! Need advice about replacement track bar!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luke's link gone bad! Need advice about replacement track bar!

howdy, everyone

I am the proud owner of a grail! All in all, I like the pickup, but I had an interesting experience today. While turning into a parking lot, I heard a pop. I didn't think much of it, but one of my passengers stepped out and immediately found a part on the ground. As it turns out, the shiny metal part of the lukes link on the track bar had broken in half.

I called the dealership (specializes in used diesel pickups) and talked to an owner, who said that he had installed many of these and has never had a problem like this. But, on the other hand, some searching around here leads me to believe that the Lukes link may not be ideal for rough usage.

The dealer is coming tomorrow to pick up the rig and repair this as well as some other things. I just need some advice about which route to go with so I can discuss it with him. I have been looking into a moog track bar and I am also interested in any other product that would work well.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
i did the 03 upgrade with ssi bracket and it would be the first thing i did if i bought another truck .
verry happy with it , all wander is gone !
much better stearing response !
Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 PM

I put in a Solid Steel 3rd gen Adj track bar and DSS (Dodge Steering Stabilizer) for the steering gear. My Luke's Link kept loosing up so I replaced it. I'm happy with the SS track bar but it is pricey since you have to also buy the adapter bracket to install it.

http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/inde...d=20&Itemid=49

There are other track bars like Thuren Fabrications:

http://www.thurenfabrication.com/products.html

These are 2 of the most talked about track bars but there are some others. Some go with the Moog or stock but you still have the ball joint failure later. The 3rd gen track bar eliminates the ball joint and replaces it with a bolt thru bushing. The Solid Steel bar requires the $200 conversion bracket and then uses a bolt thru 3rd gen type bar. Thurens 2nd gen bar replaces the ball joint with a heim joint and costs about $300.

I'd recommend the 3rd gen bar if you can spring for $500+. Happy shopping.

Dave
Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the quick response, guys! Unforutunately, the solid steel bar will probably not work out. However, the Thuren's might be agreeable for the dealer.
Is the moog unit prone to failure, or will it last quite a while?
Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Also running the Solid Steel steering box brace with 3rd gen trac bar system and am quite happy.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:46 AM

I have Lukes Link and am happy with it, if it gos bad I'd put another one on. I understand that NAPA's have a lifetime guarantee hard to beat if you have a store in town, less waiting.

Floyd
Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 AM

I got the Rare Parts track bar. Its adjustable, and over twice the size of OEM or Moog.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/g...bar/index.html
Old 07-27-2008, 09:17 AM

tried them all over the last umpteen years on 3 trucks sence 94 replacing gets old, go with the 3rd gen retro kit, solves all your problems
Old 07-27-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MJDiesel
Thanks for the quick response, guys! Unforutunately, the solid steel bar will probably not work out. However, the Thuren's might be agreeable for the dealer.
Is the moog unit prone to failure, or will it last quite a while?
I don't have personal experience with the Moog bar but there are many that use it. For a stock type bar it would be a good choice but you will be replacing it as the failure prone ball joint goes. Some even like the NAPA stock replacement due to a good warrenty.

Why don't you do the bar yourself? It's really not a hard job....coming from a DYI'er prospective. I was a little afraid when I tackled it but it turned out easy.

Good Luck whatever you pick.

Dave
Old 07-27-2008, 02:45 PM

The pickup needs other work done, the dealer was in the area today, and he will do the work for free. There is a moog in stock at a local parts store, but this broke yesterday and the pickup is already on his trailer and gone. Also, the dealer is curious about how the Lukes link broke and wants to look into it further, since this is the first time that this has happened and he has installed many fo these. The NAPA unit sounds like a winner, since it has a lifetime warranty and will be easy for me to find.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:52 PM

He is a curent thread todfay of someone who had a NAPA bar last 2 years and needs replaced. Save your receipt.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=212320

Another reason to do the 3rd gen bar ONCE and get it over with or you will be doing it again in a few years and it contributes to the "death wobble". These stock type track bars just don't cut it with our heavy Cummins engine and front end.

There's a reason Dodge switch to the 3rd gen bar.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:19 PM

The third gen bar is a possibility if I have ongoing trouble, but it will probably be another Lukes link or NAPA for now, since it will be free.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 AM

I have over 300K miles on my truck, and I have had to replace the original bar, with another OEM one, then I had to replace that one later with a MOOG. The Moog has probably 150K miles on it, and it is still doing fine. I drive on all kinds of terrain from farm to work, and don't baby the truck. I can't see spending all the extra money on the 3rd gen stuff, when the NAPA will probably do. Also, I think the Napa & Moog are the same unit, but I am not 100% sure.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Thuren tac bar. The ends are rebuildable for under $100 for the parts, no realignment req'd, hell for stout. Mine's been on over a year and is solid as a rock.

The lifetime bars are good for their lifetime, not necessarily yours or your truck's. These parts help carry the store as you'll probably pick up tools, rags, spray lubes and scented christmas trees every time you trade out a lifetime part, creating small profits for the store.

1500 bucks is a fee I hope to only have had to pay once for a front end rebuild which probably started wearing out due to a crummy trac bar, hence I replaced with a Thuren, which is only about a hundred bucks more than your lifetime bar.

Kurt
Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info, guys! As mentioned, after talking to the dealer, I will probably opt for the free LL for now. If that doesn't work out, I will be looking at the other options mentioned here.

I will use the thing for towing and offroad farm work. However, it will never have a lift, leveling kit, large tires or a snowplow, if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Luke's link gone bad! Need advice about replacement track bar!