2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Lift Pump failures

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Pump failures

I have seen much information here about lift pump failure and subsequent injection pump degradation/failure. I have read much of the same on the older GM models - prior to the DMAX. GM researched the problem and found that almost all lift pump failures were due to moisture and/or contamination. I personally replaced the failed lift pumps on both GMs in the sig. My fix and the the fix suggested on several GM forums is to install a 30 micron filter prior to the lift pump.

Anyone doing this or recommending this on the CTDs? Good idea, bad idea?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the reason most lp's fail on cummins engines is because heat and vibration. I also dont see why adding an extra filter would hurt anything.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM

The GM lift pumps are mounted on the frame and still fail without the pre filter so, I wonder whether the location on the CTDs is really the problem. However, I have no hard info.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Not sure why the lift pumps fail, but that's not the true reason the VP44's fail.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:31 AM

Centrifugal (electric) pumps push much more effectively than they pull. Switching to an electric transfer pump and leaving it on the engine where the previous mechanical pump used to go was just sloppy engineering on Dodge's part. Electric fuel pumps need to be mounted in or very near the fuel tank to work well and last. The older style mechanical pump is a "positive displacement" type and can pull fuel up to itself much more effectively.

Randy.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Western Rammer
Centrifugal (electric) pumps push much more effectively than they pull. Switching to an electric transfer pump and leaving it on the engine where the previous mechanical pump used to go was just sloppy engineering on Dodge's part. Electric fuel pumps need to be mounted in or very near the fuel tank to work well and last. The older style mechanical pump is a "positive displacement" type and can pull fuel up to itself much more effectively.

Randy.
Cummins actually put the pump on the block not Dodge. Other applications not related to Dodge at all use exactly the same "technology."
Old 11-05-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Western Rammer

Randy.
here's my setup
the pump on the left is the one in use at this time, the one on the right is a backup .... if the front one fails, i unplug one and plug the other in.
also i have a racor 2 micron filter plumbed in before both
of them

Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM

Lift pump failures seem to plague the 24V more than any other, IMHO.

Ronnie
Old 11-06-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Cummins actually put the pump on the block not Dodge. Other applications not related to Dodge at all use exactly the same "technology."
Thanks Russ! I stand corrected.

Randy.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I moved mine to the framerail I have had no failures. It has been there for 100,000 miles and the pressure is the same as the day I mounted it there. Maybe I am lucky...but I went through 2 on the block...

I like having it mounted at the lowest point so it always has fuel in it.
I also like the idea of running a filter before the pump...good idea.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hillcountry
Since I moved mine to the framerail I have had no failures. It has been there for 100,000 miles and the pressure is the same as the day I mounted it there. Maybe I am lucky...but I went through 2 on the block...

I'd say you're lucky. I have mine on the frame rail and I've gone through 4 in 50K miles after the relocation. My next one will be an Airdog because I'm getting a little too good at replacing these things.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hillcountry

I like having it mounted at the lowest point so it always has fuel in it.
I also like the idea of running a filter before the pump...good idea.
the filter is the secret to lp longevity, i forgot to mention that mine are campaign pumps
Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM

I do not have a dodge yet so, I wanted to make sure that I have the sequence of the parts correct in the fuel system:

fuel tank -> lift pump -> filter -> injection pump ...

Is this correct? Thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by afgunn
I do not have a dodge yet so, I wanted to make sure that I have the sequence of the parts correct in the fuel system:

fuel tank -> lift pump -> filter -> injection pump ...

Is this correct? Thanks!
my opinion only; fuel tank... filter... lp... IP.... it works for me
Old 11-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Johnh, I totally agree that is the way it SHOULD BE but I was trying to find out how the sequence is on a stock fuel system. Was my sequence from the above post correct on a stock truck? Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Lift Pump failures