2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Led headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Agreed... But I have to admit that the video review was fairly objective and pointed out the negative along with the positive.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Agreed... But I have to admit that the video review was fairly objective and pointed out the negative along with the positive.
Very true. Part of me wants to give them a try.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Headlight Upgrade

Ok, now I'm getting confused. I need new headlight assemblies. I have a 98' Ram 24valve, I have relay's in my Power Distribution Box that are labeled Headlights. When I look for New Assemblies the 98' and 99' look the same but the 99' do not fit the 98's ?. The 98' have one bulb and the 99' labeled "Sports Model" have two bulbs. Will either light assembly fit into the 98' fender, and work as they should using the iJMDTOY Wire Harness adapter offered by Amazon.?
Old 12-29-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kerley
Ok, now I'm getting confused. I need new headlight assemblies. I have a 98' Ram 24valve, I have relay's in my Power Distribution Box that are labeled Headlights. When I look for New Assemblies the 98' and 99' look the same but the 99' do not fit the 98's ?. The 98' have one bulb and the 99' labeled "Sports Model" have two bulbs. Will either light assembly fit into the 98' fender, and work as they should using the iJMDTOY Wire Harness adapter offered by Amazon.?
I dont have the definitive answer so you may want to do as much research as possible before spending money... But I have heard that the Sport headlight assembly's dont fit in the non-Sport trucks because there's not a hole in the fender for the second bulb. Check out this website. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
Old 12-29-2018, 01:48 PM

Alpine, What year Dodge Ram 2500 are you commenting on?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:31 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Kerley, the year of the truck does not really matter over here since the road salt has already eaten the fenders, and new ones were installed. (Anyways , did it on a 95, a 97, a 98.5 - but all with new fenders)
The new ones came with the bigger opening of the "sports headlights" package.
If you go for the sports headlights, and you still have fenders with the smaller holes you can cut out the material and mount the sports headlights.

The cutout can be made like this:

(Not mine)

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Kerley (12-31-2018)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Thank you, Alpine my 98' Dodge Ram 2500 has one of each year fenders, I guess the previous owner had a wreck and replaced the finder with a 99'. I will have to modify one Headlight cavity like in your picture, Thank you, Tom Kerley
Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM

Please take care of the wiring behind the sheetmetal before starting the sawzall.. DAMHIK!

It would also be a good time to check the ground post close to the driver side headlight- I saw a lot of them corroded and causing a lot of electrical gremlins..
Kerley (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:23 PM

Headlight Upgrade

Alpine, One more question, when I install the Sports Headlight Assy. there will be two bulbs for each side Right, Left. My question is; Which bulbs are needed for the low beam and which bulbs are needed for the high beam, or do I install the same bulbs in each side?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:27 AM

With the normal sports headlights you will get a 9004 "outside" for the low and high beam and a 9007 "inside" for the additional high beam.

A set of relays to power the headlights and some cheap 100W versions of said bulbs light up the road mighty fine. (I got 100W per filament 9004s and 9007s from china for 20US$ per 10 pcs).

Take care for the different pinout on the plugs of 9004 and 9007.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Alpine how are those 100 watt bulbs working for you? Do you have history with them, meaning is there any negative about using the higher wattage bulb? I already have the relay harness so that the bulbs get full voltage instead of using the factory wiring to the headlights. I just was looking for even more brighter is possible...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Alpine how are those 100 watt bulbs working for you? Do you have history with them, meaning is there any negative about using the higher wattage bulb? I already have the relay harness so that the bulbs get full voltage instead of using the factory wiring to the headlights. I just was looking for even more brighter is possible...
They seem to be a little shorter lived than the stockers, but usually last about 30 k miles.
I use them in an aftermarket clear glass headlight, modeled to look like the sports headlight (got that from LMC) - no problem with discoloration and heat.
The alternator has enough output to keep charging the battery with all of them on.
We tested the stock wiring on a 97 with one such bulb, and had enough resistance to pull down the voltage at the bulb to 8.8V (looking hard you can tell the bulb is on at that voltage)- but the switch got warm really quick..
With the relays and a good ground connection (a lot of the kits do not address the ground issues these trucks have) I see nothing negative with those lights, except getting into a stock truck at night is much more frightening than before.
A quick test with a meter showed about 85-90% more output than the Sylvania 9004 bulb at the same voltage (14.4V) .
So, except from these bulbs showing you any deficiency in your wiring, and the need to have your headlight aimed properly (airbags on the rear axle do help)I see no real downside.
KATOOM (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Good info...thank you. So basically the upgraded relay harness with new grounds are required if you want to run higher wattage bulbs.

That said, I recently acquired the relay harness from Daniel Stern Lighting which seams to be a high quality kits that integrates three relays and three fuses and ties into the battery power and ground. I tested the connection at the bulb and I am getting the voltage generated by the alternator instead of simply headlight switch voltage.

So if I choose to get those 100w bulbs you mentioned, I should be fine.

Also, the TYC headlights I also installed not to long ago in order to replace my stock yellowed Sport headlights are not as good as I'd hoped. They're difficult to aim and the housing molds dont seem to be aligned correctly. Bummer because I'm not wanting to spend the money experimenting having to keep ordering different aftermarket configurations.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:59 AM

Hmm, I never had a Daniel Stern harness in hands, but the specs he gives on his website look good for 100W bulbs.

The 9007s I got:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pc...27424c4d5enlk2

9004s
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...8-d5b938db8e2e

Price seems to have risen to 30US$ per 10 pcs..

As Mr Stern states- no tinted glass on bulbs. Tint absorbs light.

If you still have the stockers, you can easily get them clear again- wet sandpaper - Grits:240-600-1200 -2000, then a polishing compound and automotive clearcoat with a primer for polycarbonate. I think "rustoleum" has that in spray cans in the US.
(Just did the lights on my wife's Yaris Verso that way- they look like new)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Thanks again...

Yes, I've polished the stock Sport headlights many times. They'd last about a year or so then start to get that yellow tinge on the top edge and have a funky appearance if you caught them at the right angle. I just got tired of messing with them and heard good things about the TYC headlight assembly.
Here's a picture of what they look like compared to the stock ones.

Quick Reply: Led headlights