2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Instrument Cluster Problem and Alternator NOT Charging!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Instrument Cluster Problem and Alternator NOT Charging!

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins Diesel. The instrument cluster gauges/needles recently stopped working. All the needles stay pointed to the left when the truck is started. They WILL MOVE about a 1/16" to the right.

When a diagnostic tool is used on the port, it shows NO Computer (ECM). Also, the alternator shows NO OUTPUT when connected to a battery/alternator machine!

The LCD odometer just flashes the mileage. The odometer is NOT racking up mileage when driven. Some idiot lights light up. The ones the do are random.

I checked all electrical connectors I could find under the hood and under the dash. I clean all the battery posts and grounds. My batteries are in good condition as well.

The alternator is NOT charging when the vehicle is driven. I was driving with the lights on and the battery was drawn down.

What's going on and what do I need to check out
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE !! ISSUE SOLVED !!!

Replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. (aka CPS)

Last edited by Katmandu; 10-10-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Replaced the ESS Engine Speed Sensor or the Crankshaft Position Sensor. (aka CPS).
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the CCD buss is not working. You will need a service manual to help diagnose the problem.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:16 PM

Question

Originally Posted by WestTN
Sounds like the CCD buss is not working. You will need a service manual to help diagnose the problem.
What exactly is the CCD buss ??
Old 10-06-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Katmandu
I have a 98 Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins Diesel. The instrument cluster gauges/needles recently stopped working. All the needles stay pointed to the left when the truck is started. They WILL MOVE about a 1/16" to the right.

When a diagnostic tool is used on the port, it shows NO Computer (ECM). Also, the alternator shows NO OUTPUT when connected to a battery/alternator machine!

The LCD odometer just flashes the mileage. The odometer is NOT racking up mileage when driven. Some idiot lights light up. The ones the do are random.

I checked all electrical connectors I could find under the hood and under the dash. I clean all the battery posts and grounds. My batteries are in good condition as well.

The alternator is NOT charging when the vehicle is driven. I was driving with the lights on and the battery was drawn down.

What's going on and what do I need to check out ?
Did you ever figure out the problem with the truck I have a 24v Cummins doing the exact same thing as yours and have tried everything I can think of thought I'd ask your out come
Old 10-08-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
You may not have much luck getting an answer - his last activity was Aug 2018...
Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by texasprd
You may not have much luck getting an answer - his last activity was Aug 2018...
I'm still here ! Lurking in the shadows ! Lol!

Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. (aka CPS). That's what fixed my old truck's issues.

I MISS MY HOLY GRAIL !!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
Glad you're still around! lol

Having a 12-valve, where the Engine Speed Sensor (aka ESS, not really a CPS) is only used to count RPMs because the injection events are mechanically controlled (and pneumatically, if you count the AFC), I was curious to see if there really is an actual crank or cam position sensor on the 24 valve and what it does. Found this interesting explanation...
The following users liked this post:
Katmandu (10-10-2019)