Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Instrument Cluster Problem and Alternator NOT Charging! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/instrument-cluster-problem-alternator-not-charging-186942/)

Katmandu 01-13-2008 08:02 AM

Instrument Cluster Problem and Alternator NOT Charging!

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins Diesel. The instrument cluster gauges/needles recently stopped working. All the needles stay pointed to the left when the truck is started. They WILL MOVE about a 1/16" to the right.

When a diagnostic tool is used on the port, it shows NO Computer (ECM). Also, the alternator shows NO OUTPUT when connected to a battery/alternator machine!

The LCD odometer just flashes the mileage. The odometer is NOT racking up mileage when driven. Some idiot lights light up. The ones the do are random.

I checked all electrical connectors I could find under the hood and under the dash. I clean all the battery posts and grounds. My batteries are in good condition as well.

The alternator is NOT charging when the vehicle is driven. I was driving with the lights on and the battery was drawn down.

What's going on and what do I need to check out
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE !! ISSUE SOLVED !!!

Replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. (aka CPS)

WestTN 01-13-2008 08:39 PM

Sounds like the CCD buss is not working. You will need a service manual to help diagnose the problem.

Katmandu 01-14-2008 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by WestTN (Post 1889027)
Sounds like the CCD buss is not working. You will need a service manual to help diagnose the problem.

What exactly is the CCD buss ??

John Cooper 10-06-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Katmandu (Post 1887844)
I have a 98 Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins Diesel. The instrument cluster gauges/needles recently stopped working. All the needles stay pointed to the left when the truck is started. They WILL MOVE about a 1/16" to the right.

When a diagnostic tool is used on the port, it shows NO Computer (ECM). Also, the alternator shows NO OUTPUT when connected to a battery/alternator machine!

The LCD odometer just flashes the mileage. The odometer is NOT racking up mileage when driven. Some idiot lights light up. The ones the do are random.

I checked all electrical connectors I could find under the hood and under the dash. I clean all the battery posts and grounds. My batteries are in good condition as well.

The alternator is NOT charging when the vehicle is driven. I was driving with the lights on and the battery was drawn down.

What's going on and what do I need to check out ?

Did you ever figure out the problem with the truck I have a 24v Cummins doing the exact same thing as yours and have tried everything I can think of thought I'd ask your out come

texasprd 10-08-2019 09:51 AM

You may not have much luck getting an answer - his last activity was Aug 2018...

Katmandu 10-08-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by texasprd (Post 3364853)
You may not have much luck getting an answer - his last activity was Aug 2018...

I'm still here ! Lurking in the shadows ! Lol!

Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. (aka CPS). That's what fixed my old truck's issues.

I MISS MY HOLY GRAIL !!!!!!

texasprd 10-09-2019 10:21 AM

Glad you're still around! lol

Having a 12-valve, where the Engine Speed Sensor (aka ESS, not really a CPS) is only used to count RPMs because the injection events are mechanically controlled (and pneumatically, if you count the AFC), I was curious to see if there really is an actual crank or cam position sensor on the 24 valve and what it does. Found this interesting explanation...