2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Installed leveling kit and it moved the axel to the left.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed leveling kit and it moved the axel to the left.

I have read on here that this may happen but don't recall reading how to get it back to center.

Can some one tell me how to center the axel? I do have an adjustable trac bar on it.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:06 PM

just adjust the trackbar so it 'lengthens' - this should recenter your axle. do it with the tires on the ground . . . either stand back and eyeball it if you feel comfortable doing that, or put a tape on it wherever you can get a good/accurate measurement on both sides of center.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Think about getting an alignment also. Yes, they say that it's not needed but trust me, been there done that. All the specs change very slightly but enough to roast a set of tires.

Sure your "lifting" the front of the truck but in actuality, your rotating the axle down and that's where the alignment specs change. I have seen first hand before and after when we did a leveling lift on an alignment rack and saw the specs change.

An alignment shop can also adjust your track bar which should also bring your steering wheel back to center. Alignments are way cheaper than tires in my book.

Jeff
Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try in the morning.

I was planning on an alignment as I'm putting ne tires on soon.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 AM

A good way of centering it I found with my old F150 was to hang a nut off a piece of string on each fender. Gives you a nice little plumb bob to measure to the tire with. Also, if you have to drop one end of the track bar to adjust it, turning the steering wheel will shift the truck so you can pop the bar and bolt back in. Easier to get someone to turn the wheel while you're under the truck doing that.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 AM

I centered my axel with a 4ft level, it will rest against the top of the fender and rest on the top and bottom of the tire (at the time I had stock tires and rims)

so have someone hold the( level/straight edge) against the tire and then adjust the track bar till the body (fender) shifts over and hits the level
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Also, if you have the crappy inverted Y steering, the leveling kit will change your toe-in.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 AM

if you use the level or plumb-bob method - be sure the truck is on level ground . . .
Old 09-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have got it close and have an alighnment schedule for Monday to get it all straight.

Speaking of alighnments, I thought I read on here that when you get an alighnment after installing a leveling kit you should have them push the axel all they forward? Or did I read it wrong.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM

I've never heard of pushing the front axle forward, it's a new one on me.

But I would print out these specs.......

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/00_steer_specs.html

And give them to your alignment guy and get him to set your alignment to them. Don't let him give you the "it's close" crap, you want them set to these specs.

I have run my truck with these specs since day one as have others I know and we have had zero problems at all with wear or steering issues. In my case, I'm still running original ball joints and steering with over 200,000 miles so far, I guess it helps I don't go off road or beat on it but it tows most of the time.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Got the alignment today drives really nice and the axel is centered. Now for the new tires.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:43 AM

I am in need of some help on this track bar issue as well. I have an 09 6.7 with factory size tires. I put on factory replacement 988 springs which gave it a 1.5" lift. Then the Firestone air springs which gave it another .5".

I notice the tires offset to the left. I took a 4' level against the fender and its quite clear that with the air in the springs (2" lift) the axle is offset a full 1.5 inches to the left. Letting the air out with just the 1.5" inch spring lift I am still off by an 1". I am told by a local 4x4 shop that this is normal and not to worry as long as the front end is in alignment which it is.

Help??
Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by glocker30
I am in need of some help on this track bar issue as well. I have an 09 6.7 with factory size tires. I put on factory replacement 988 springs which gave it a 1.5" lift. Then the Firestone air springs which gave it another .5".

I notice the tires offset to the left. I took a 4' level against the fender and its quite clear that with the air in the springs (2" lift) the axle is offset a full 1.5 inches to the left. Letting the air out with just the 1.5" inch spring lift I am still off by an 1". I am told by a local 4x4 shop that this is normal and not to worry as long as the front end is in alignment which it is.

Help??
welcome to the forum!, your post about a 09 is in the wrong section as this is for the 2nd gen trucks, but the same geometry applies , once you lift the truck the track bar is too short causing the axel to shift, as the alignment shop said it wont cause any issues except your front wheels will cut a different track than your rears do, (might not be helpfull in snow or mud)

you can correct the issue if you get an adjustable track bar, this allows you to pull the body back over the axel,
Old 10-02-2010, 02:10 AM

my bad.

thanks.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does one adjust a factory track bar? It's a solid piece, right? I could see adjusting the drag link to bring the steering wheel back to center after leveling, but to move the axle back to center, an adjustable track bar would be needed, no?

Quick Reply: Installed leveling kit and it moved the axel to the left.