2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

I added a sub-woofer.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I added a sub-woofer.....

I thought it worth posting this for others who may be interested.

I know there's plenty of people who cant wait to tear out the OEM stereo system no matter the vehicle and replace it was all the cool high dollar aftermarket components. Me, I have always thought the factory stereo was plenty sufficient in this truck. Sounds nice and is easy to use. That said, it doesn't have an auxiliary port nor does it have the fancy high tech look but for me I prefer that. So to each is own in that aspect. I'll agree that the ability to connect in a USB would be great but that desire for me has only been around for probably the past year or so and bluetooth is becoming real popular. If I ever change the deck out it would be because I want the ability to listen to an I-Pod or MP3 through the deck. Currently I dont think there's anyway to do this through a deck which doesnt have the aux ports.

But with all that said, if there was anything I did not care for from the factory Infinity stereo it was the very limited bass it produced. Kind pathetic and turning up the bass did nothing but cause distortion and poor sound results all around.

So finally I decided to splurge a little and got a self powered. Nothing too expensive either but nice 8" compact sub so it could fit under one of the seats. Well if anyone happen to read my other thread about needing wiring diagram advice, I did find where the speaker wires route and they come from the dash down over to the drivers side and down the door rail, to the rear door speaker, then up over the cab and down the other back side corner to the passenger door speaker. Pulling the rear panels loose beside the rear seat was all I needed to be able to tap into the rear speaker wires and bring them all back down around behind the rear seat and to the subs mounting spot located under the back seat on the drivers side. I ran all other wires (12 volt, remote wire, and gain) back up the drivers side door rail along side the factory existing wiring and connected them to all their locations.

OK.....so how does it sound? Well all I can say is WHY didn't I do this years ago????? This little 8" sub sounds AWESOME. Added everything I hoped for and way more. I had a wide range of people tell me that it would add so little bass that I would be wanting an aftermarket deck after going through all this and then there was a few others who said it should add the bass I was after. And yes, not only did it add what I'm after but when I got done with all the setting adjustments, there is so much room for gain that if I was to turn it up all the way with the remote gain **** I tucked in the ash tray, the additional bass would vibrate the doors and windows and become completely uncomfortable for anyone in the cab.

So in short, if anyone is after some more bass from their OEM deck then dont hesitate to spend a couple bucks and invest in a self powered sub if you're not ready to replace every stereo component.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Katoom - so glad it worked out for you and sorry my directions for finding the speaker wires weren't clearer. Glad you figured it out in the end.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah glad that it worked out for you. I probably would have went a route like that... had my cd player not worked in the factory unit when i first bought my truck.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Thanks guys. And Tallguy67, you did help. I wouldn't have thought to look for the wires where they were unless you hadn't had said something.