2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

How about a rotor that doesn't warp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
When you put a rotor on a spindle, set a dial gauge against it, and it's not flat, it's warped. Period.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So maybe I should be asking what rotor/pad combo is best, huh?
Brembo rotors with Hawk Performance pads
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-2-3
When you put a rotor on a spindle, set a dial gauge against it, and it's not flat, it's warped. Period.
Check a dictionary: warp = to bend or twist out of shape.

That is not happening with rotors, simply a myth, read thread again, I have faith you are capable of learning . Period.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bcbigfoot
Check a dictionary: warp = to bend or twist out of shape.

That is not happening with rotors, simply a myth, read thread again, I have faith you are capable of learning . Period.
TomAto, Tomahto ..... either way it causes pulsing in the brakes.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
TomAto, Tomahto ..... either way it causes pulsing in the brakes.
Amen, lets get past the symantics and on to the point.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:39 PM

Accually symantic's in this case has for many years resulted in a lack of understanding on how to come up with a solution to pulsating brakes. The solution to fixing warped rotors (an issue that rarely occurs) is different than fixing a brake rotor with .0005 more brake material on one spot of the rotor than another.

In order to solve problems and and gain collective knowledge proper terms need to be used, or a continued misunderstand of a solution to this issue will result. This is not a tomato/tomahto issue.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Hodge
Amen, lets get past the symantics and on to the point.
I'm all for getting past semantics but there is a point to be made here with all this back and forth. And the point is that in this thread there are two words with totally different meanings which are being used wrong.
Runout does not mean warped. Runout is when the rotors are manufactured in such away that the rotor doesn't spin flat but wobbly. Rotor runout will cause pulsing from the get go. You can grind them flat but if they have runout, they're never going to be right. Steel wheels can have a runout problem too.
Warped is when the rotor itself is worn over time in such a fashion that the rotor can be thinner is one spot and thicker in another, causing the pads to pulsate against the caliper and transmitting that feeling back through the brake pedal. Obviously there's a difference.....and the other point here is to learn as much as share knowledge, and being rude is unnecessary too.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned

When brake deposits are on rotor there is uneven wear of rotor and deposit areas creating different thicknesses which cause pulsing and your dial indicator movement. Look up thickness variations.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The rear brakes should be in good order so the front is not doing everything. Consider doing the rear brake cylinder mod. It made a big difference for me.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll second that upgrade too. the chevy 1 ton wheel cylinders work great. worth the time and effort to change.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 PM

I actually redid the rear brakes at the same time as the front last year. I find that I get a lot better performance by adjusting them when I change to winter tires and back - the self adjusters don't seem to keep up. I just read up on the wheel cylinder mod and it sounds like a cheap way to improve things as well.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:24 PM

RAYBESTOS advanced technology rotors and autozone severe duty pads best brakes i have ever had on any vehicle hands down!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Brembo's

Originally Posted by infidel
Brembo rotors with Hawk Performance pads
I just got back from the Bondurant racing school in AZ.
http://www.bondurant.com/

They use the Brembo rotors on their Corvettes and they really use up the brakes there, use very hard pads.

Floyd
Old 10-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Try torquing your lug nuts down next time also, criss cross pattern as you tighten.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by wdimig
advanced rotor technology(ART), do a search, they are stock sized rotors that are slotted, and cryo treated, i picked up a set of them, and carbon metallic pads from diesel manor, so far the best rotor i have had on my truck, i have had them on for say 5k miles, and i can still see the machining cross hatch marks, a stock rotor would have already worn past those marks by now, im pretty impressed so far, we will see how long they last.

Wes
I have the ART on my truck, well worth the money.

Quick Reply: How about a rotor that doesn't warp?