2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

help please-lukes link install??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 03:39 PM
bws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help please-lukes link install??

i just got done installing a lukes link on my track bar and noticed i have a 1/4" max clearance between the link head and the diferental cover bolt[maybe a 1/8" with my wife in the truck].is it supose to be this close the the differental cover??looks like 1 bump and it would come down and dent the cover??i maybe have 1.5" of downward travel and the lukes link would hit the dif cover.i dont want to lift the truck this was not part of the deal??help.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has hit the diff cover a couple of times. I think they said you could grind off a little bit for clearance. I think you should call them and get their advice, I'm going to when I get the chance.

Also I was looking at the clearance at the wheels as these are supposed to replace the tie rod ends as well, I don't think they will clear.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:59 PM
bws

i am just not comfortable with this install.think somebody recomended the wrong product for a non lifted 4x4.i will go buy a new moog or the other aftermarket trac-bar setup,now that i have no choice.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:12 PM

Try calling them first. My understanding is that they are very willing to help out. If they can't help you I think you will at least get your money back.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:25 PM
bws

Unhappy

i still get some upward/downward movement and dont understand how when the cap seats against he washer,i followed the instructions to the t?.i will send it back but cant now till i get my next setup.great.i will be very careful about recomendations for products from now on.i guess i do need to know who make a adjustable track bar setup.skyjacker makes a trackbar i heard.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:36 PM

I had that problem with mine at first. Did you check the clearence between the cap and the track bar to get 3/16" to 1/4" preload first? I ground off a little too much of the spring at first. I added one of the spacer washers and then tightend the cap until the threads touched the track bar and then tightened it to aprox. 35 ft lbs. that took care of the movement. I wasen't tightening it up enough at first. Did it look like your ball stud had a lot of wear? Mine didn't. By the way I did the washer while it was on the truck.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:42 PM
bws

i had groung off some offthe spring but it was perfect when done at 8/32 on my 6" scale.flush surface of the trac bar to the cap lip.??i did not grind off to much?dont get it??are you guys sure you dont get any movement??
Old 06-12-2004, 04:44 PM

Id tryn make the Lukes-Link work before you go get something else. Stock Moog replacements are just gonna wear out again. Skyjacker and DT ProFab make adjustable/rebuildable ones but be prepared to pay big time for them. Unless your goin to lift your truck, stick with the Lukes.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:02 PM

BWS. This is where I had a little trouble with the instructions, but I finally figured it out. What they are talking about is, the cap is the part that goes over the end of your track bar. The plug screws into the cap. When you screw the plug in tighten it until you can see the threads of the plug contact the track bar. That's when you should torque it to 35 ft lbs. If you have movement, then take the cap out and add a small spacer or two until it's tight. you can do all of this while it's still on the truck. BTW watch the o ring as you tighten the plug. Mine wanted to come out on one side when I tightned it. I went slow and poked it in as I was tightening it with a small screwdriver.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:11 PM
bws

thats what i did??i will try the spacers[washers] i guess.have nothing to lose at this point.there should be no upward/downward movement of the bar end when my wife wiggles the wheel right?looks like we get a 1/4" upward/downward inside the lukeslink?
Old 06-12-2004, 05:17 PM

That's right , no movement up and down. Try the washers. Are you sure you tightened the nut on the ball stud? Just trying to give you some ideas to try.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:19 PM
bws

yep tourqed it to 110 ft lbs[might be a little too much].no movement there.even with the spring doesnt the cap come up and seat against the big washer.dont see where there could be any movment but i have it??will try the washers tommorrow my buts kicked after all this work.thanks.will follow up tomorrow.bws
Old 06-12-2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by bws
no movement there.even with the spring doesnt the cap come up and seat against the big washer.dont see where there could be any movment but i have it??
Try the washers, that's what worked for me. Let me know I'd be interested to see if that works for you.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:40 PM
bws

i stacked all three washer in and it looks like its better.nice guy to do business with just dont like grinding on stuff to make it work.probably will upgrade to a new trackbar soon.i used to make my own adjustable trac bars for some early broncos i had.we just cut them in the middle and threaded them and threaded a piece of pipe and cut slots in it for clamps.worked great.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:20 PM

Glad it seems to be working for you.

Quick Reply: help please-lukes link install??