2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

HELP!!!! Ignition Switch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!! Ignition Switch Problems

I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 Ram Pickup with a Cummins and Automatic. It was broken in to and someone tried to steal it by hammering a screw driver in the ignition. I installed a new Inition Switch and Lock Cylinder. Now when I try to turn the key on or crank it I get nothing. None of my dash warning lights come on or my radio and it will not turn over, but when you turn the key on the ac will start to blow. I have checked my fuses at the panal and all were good. Does anyone know of something else that I might be over looking. I have replaced all the parts that were damaged. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I know nothing. You probably have already looked at the wires on the column and under the dash to make sure they didnt try "hotwiring" it. Perhaps they tried jumping something under the hood but you already checked the fuses.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that some idiot put their hands on your truck. But this sounds like a problem that needs to be Looked at. You will probably need to take it in somewhere.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't trust visually checking for a blown fuse, it doesn't always work.
Use a meter of test light to check them.
Don't forget the underhood fuse box.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 PM

fuse

Look in the main fuse box under the hood, at the enclosed fuses closely with a bright light and you will probably find the red 50A fuse cracked. The other way to check them is pull out one at a time and check with an ohm meter to make sure they are not cracked. I've run into this several times. Good luck
Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Ensure both connections to the ignition switch are fully seated - had to fight this a bit when I replaced mine. They will act funny. Also check the connector block with the bolt in it by the pedals and make sure it is fully seated - these connections can all be half way in and work but cause issues. Best of luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ice1too
Look in the main fuse box under the hood, at the enclosed fuses closely with a bright light and you will probably find the red 50A fuse cracked. The other way to check them is pull out one at a time and check with an ohm meter to make sure they are not cracked. I've run into this several times. Good luck
Easier way is to use a test light with the ignition turned on.
With the sharp probe most lights come with you can check the small exposed metal on top of the installed fuses easily.
Just make sure the light comes on by touching both of the metal tabs.

Checking for blown fuses by just looking doesn't always work, use a meter or test light.