2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Headlamp issue

Old 11-10-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlamp issue

When I moved up to Canada, I had to have daytime running lights installed. This is all fine and dandy, but the @#)(*&#@$ dealership used those stinking wire clamps instead of doing the job right and soldering the connections. After the second winter, I've had nothing but issues with the head lamps. The wiring was so corroded on the left side that I had to replace the pigtail assemply for the lamp and now can not get the high beam to work at all on the left (driver) side. Anyone have any suggestions on trouble shooting before I bite the bullet and have someone look at it?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:23 AM

Re:Headlamp issue

I don't know if you have tried this, but could it be a simple bulb burned out? Swap bulbs with the other side and see if it works.

Then, I would go to the splice, I am assuming they used scotchlok connectors, and pull them off one at a time, clean up the area, and connect with solder and shrink tubing.

Its tight getting your hand in there behind the headlights, but it can be done with some persistance!
Old 11-10-2003, 10:30 AM

Already checked the bulb and it's good. And I yanked those damned connectors out and soldered the new pigtail in myself (yeah, it's REAL tight in there). Problem is, once I had finished, I didn't have a high beam on that side. **sigh** I hate it when that happens. Could I have mixed up the connections? I bought an aftermarket lamp plug, so the wires weren't color coded to the wiring on the harness. I would think that if I had messed it up royally, the lights wouldn't work, or the high/low beam would be swapped. Low beam works great. No high beam. (I think I'll go check that stinking lamp again just to be tripple sure that it isn't the bulb).
Old 11-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might have gotten the wires crossed between the ground and the high beam.. The system is grounded funny and you may get the lite to work using the highbeam as the ground now that the DRL's are hooked up..

I am surprised they made you install them.. I see many 2nd gens with them disabled.. ???

J-eh
Old 11-10-2003, 06:19 PM
js

my unit burnt out . phoned dealer as Napa said it was a dealer item. found out price and have driven without dt lights ever since. only problem is that with the module burnt out i have no highbeam indicater.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=js link=board=5;threadid=22247;start=0#msg208233 date=1068509970]
my unit burnt out .[/quote]

I hate it when that happens.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:59 PM

[quote author=TomW link=board=5;threadid=22247;start=0#msg208018 date=1068480971]
I had to have daytime running lights installed.
[/quote]

Was that just for importing the truck? I have heard that you have to change a couple of things to meet the guidelines.

I know that there are lots of vehicles on the road that don't meet code. For example F-350 bumpers are over the alowable hight restriction here

My DRL's module went at least a year back and not one officer has ever mentioned it.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:40 AM

I have not heard of that before, as far as i know it is perfectly legal to drive in Canada without daytime running lights. The DRL's were installed on all vehicles entering or manufactured in Canada beginning in or around 1992. It is a safety requirement NOT a mandatory requirement. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:28 AM

If I wanted to register the beast up here, I had to have the module put in. That was per MTO. And I had to prove that I had it done before they'd issue the paperwork to get the rest of the registration process finished.

Came a whisker from getting it written off last fall after an accident and never reinstalled the DRL module when it came out of the body shop.

Can anyone describe what color goes to what position on the lamp for a '99 3500? Maybe I did cross two wires up, but I would suspect that if I did that, I'd either have a high beam when it's supposed to be low, or they wouldn't work at all. As I stated, low works fine. Just no high beam (and I went out and checked that sucker again yesterday, bulb is good).
Old 11-11-2003, 09:27 AM

From what my book shows there should be a white 16ga wire coming from the DRL module. That wire ties into another 16ga white that is your low beams. There should be a 16ga red w/orange stripe going to the headlights for high beam. The other wire should be a 20ga black wire that goes to ground.
Good Luck
Tom
Old 11-11-2003, 09:57 AM

On my 02', the colors are:

Left Headlamp

Violet - Battery Voltage
Red/Orange - Ground High Beam
Violet/White - Ground Low Beam

Right Headlamp

Violet/Red - Battery Voltage
Red/Orange - Ground High Beam
Violet/White - Ground Low Beam
Old 11-11-2003, 11:30 AM

[quote author=goldenears link=board=5;threadid=22247;start=0#msg208366 date=1068532851]
it is perfectly legal to drive in Canada without daytime running lights. [/quote]

It should be in the MVA or MVR somewheres. I think it is like cat's. If your 94 to 98 came with one you have to have one. Aircare can fail yah for not having it installed as it came from the factory like that.

DRL's if installed from the factory for like year truck has to have them in working order. If this wasn't the case I don't see how they could require TomW to have to install them?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:08 AM

According to MTO (Ontario) I had to have it put in before I could register the truck here. Talk about a scam. They have a list of *cough* approved places that can install and certify that it's been done. :