2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Getting heater to work

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting heater to work

I've read several past posts on the heater on the Cummins powered Dodge trucks, but still cannot get much heat at all from the heater. I've checked everything and even wasted money changing thermostats. If covering up the radiator is the only way to get heat in the winter, is there any company that sells a better setup than my cardboard zip tied to the radiator? I'm worried that the cardboard will beat some of the vanes shut and ruin the radiator. Besides, it sort of looks tacky and after driving in the rain or snow, my cardboard starts to come apart.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:56 PM

When was the last time you did a heater core flush? It is likely partially or fully clogged. They are EXPENSIVE to change - the dash has to come out.

There are lots of winter front on the market. Lund (plastic), cloudrider (Stainless Steel) and a member here (search for EricBu12), makes them and sells for around $35
Old 12-12-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with the good Doctor. The heat in mine will run you out. I think you may have a plugged up exchanger.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:33 PM

Have you tried running the heater in the recirculate position?

Personally I've never noticed much difference with winter grill inserts that many sell, I just remove the fan for about half the year.

The 24 valves and '98 12 valves don't seem to have the heater problem the earlier models do.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your thermostat is working properly covering the front should not make much difference. Check the heater valve to make sure it is opening. I am not sure on the design on your model, but on some vehicles they will not heat if the heater hoses are backwards.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by infidel
I just remove the fan for about half the year.
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best for me to just remove the fan belt, or would I have to remove the fan? I haven't looked. It wouldn't be difficult at all to just take a belt off. If I have to take the fan off, how much time am I looking at? The reason I ask, is no matter what what thermostat I put in, about 150 is about all the temp gauge will ever register, and then it goes down from there when I get rolling.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:00 PM

a fan belt??? how long have you had this truck?? Modern vehicles dont have fan belts anymore.....

What brand of thermostat are you putting in? and how cold is it where you are?
Old 12-12-2004, 05:02 PM

If you take the belt off...............you will get heat-for a short time. You NEED the belt to turn the water pump and alternator. The fan comes off quite easily. Just remember to turn it backwards to get it off since it has left hand threads.
Tom
Old 12-12-2004, 06:03 PM

The fan comes off easily and will slip out the top without removing anything else.
You need patience the first time, the way it comes out is a trick, you move it over towards the driver's side with center hub about even with the upper radiator hose then pull up with the hose between two fan blades, then just rotate it.

If you're in stop and go traffic a lot it's good to also pull the A/C breaker so the refrigerant doesn't overheat, no problem when moving though.

Worst thing about going fanless is putting it back on, you won't want to. The truck will be much quieter and accelerate faster without the fan.
I go fanless from Nov till July, no problems even when it's 85F outside.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:17 PM

Sounds more like the heat control on the dash is slipped or come loose in the heater housing. That will let air bypass the heater core and stay cold
Old 12-12-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by infidel
Worst thing about going fanless is putting it back on, you won't want to. The truck will be much quieter and accelerate faster without the fan.
I go fanless from Nov till July, no problems even when it's 85F outside.
I should make that mod as well.....
Old 12-14-2004, 01:25 AM

How much if any mpg change w/o fan? if your not getting above 150* the thermostat is not working, might have picked up a bad one.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Hemi Cat
Sounds more like the heat control on the dash is slipped or come loose in the heater housing. That will let air bypass the heater core and stay cold
Sounds more like the heat control on the dash
I had that problem on mine when I first got it. No heat or air. Took the dash control apart cleaned the contacts. Works fine now.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:51 AM

heat

Dang! It's cold today! I gave up and took my truck to a Dodge dealership to try to have them find some heat. My radiator and system is clean and clear. The thermostat works fine. The dealer couldn't find any problem. After driving for about one hour, I can take the cap off of the radiator and put my finger in the antifreeze and it is just luke warm!

I guess I'll just have to take the fan off and maybe cover the radiator as well. The Dodge dealer laughed and commented that I should look on the bright side; I should never have a problem over heating my truck in the summer. I suppost for the winter I could build a fire in the passenger side floor.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not just for heat, the engine needs to run hotter than that. Your thermostat is bad, almost to be sure.

Quick Reply: Getting heater to work