2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Gen 1 or 2 for long-distance trips with truck camper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had both first and second gen trucks. The old style first gens are very noisy and you have to remember that they are around twenty years old now.Second gens started in 94 but that year did not have an extended cab. 95, 96 ,and 97s are good reliable trucks. Good riding (two wheel drive) and acceptible engine noise. There are still some good ones out there, just takes some searching to find one....
Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 PM

Good point about rust, I hate it too!!!
Indeed, may prove a good idea to fly down south to buy one, drive it back and make a trip of it. I want to visit the South-West, so... buy one from down there and save one leg of the journey!
Sounds like 95-96-97 2wd is what I'm looking for.
Thanks for all the thoughts guys, appreciate it! Now to find a good one...
Old 09-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
Any interest in the truck in my sig?
My truck came from Florida and I don't use it the winter.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Sorry, I hadn't seen your sig.
Thanks for the offer but I'd rather stick with a 12 valve for now. Plus 3500 is dual rear wheel isn't it? I'd rather go with single rear wheels. Cheers.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Camper Package I was speaking of is the OEM "Camper Special Package" that simply adds the 3500 rear springs and rear stabilizer bar. Not referring to a truck + camper package.... When I bought my truck I got the Camper Special Package and Snow Plow Prep package simply because it only added about $150 to the cost of the truck, but gave you an immense increase in loading possibilities.

BTW, what is rust? Living here in FL I wouldn't know....
Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks for clarifying about the factory camper package! Will add that to the list of desired features, all else being equal...

Yeah, living in FLA's got a lot going for it I gather! I kind of like the change of seasons up here, myself. At least up here there's a lot of maturity in rust-proofing products and services for cars/trucks. For about $100-125 a year, one can hold the rust at bay for several years (yearly application). Having said that, seeing rust-free specimens from the South always brings a bit of envy :-)
Old 09-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Florida has a lot going for it, mostly declining house prices. But hey, what's a few hundred thou among friends? Our winter is pretty brutal, too. When was it last year? December 12th I think. Or was it the 13th?....
Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I have owned 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Dodge cummins powered trucks. I like the looks and the simplicity of the 1st gen best, but when it comes to comfort for a long road trip you can't beat a quad-cab 2nd gen truck. I actually went from a 2003 QC 3500 back to a 92 W250 and around town and short trips < 200 miles the 1st gen was great, but I eventually ended up getting the truck in my sig to replace the 1st gen.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg
< 200 miles the 1st gen was great, but I eventually ended up getting the truck in my sig to replace the 1st gen.
And now you have the mighty VP to contend with. Keep $1200 in your tool box along with your wrenches. You'll need it - perhaps several times.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Junk Man
And now you have the mighty VP to contend with. Keep $1200 in your tool box along with your wrenches. You'll need it - perhaps several times.
I have never had any VP issues with either of the VP equipped trucks I have owned. The first one had ~110K miles when I replaced it with a 3rd gen truck. The truck I have now has over 200k miles on the original VP.
In a perfect world I would have a quad cab with a mechanical injection pump.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg
I have never had any VP issues with either of the VP equipped trucks I have owned.
You are fortunate and in the minority. Congratulations.

That doesn't change anything. VPs are crap - for this application.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 AM

Bought my camper!

Hi again folks.
Well, something interesting came up suddenly on the local market, and first thing you know I'm now the owner of a slide-in truck camper, without a truck!

Here's a link to pictures I took of it in the seller's garage. He will deliver to may place this weekend.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10825085...at=directlink#

It's an early 70's Alaskan non-cabover camper, in excellent shape (no rot, well looked after, stored inside when not used). Got it for $2000, including jacks, misc stuff, and delivery to my place. 10 feet long, so it sits in an 8 foot box and on the folded-down tailgate. Loads of craftsmanship in the very attractive wooden interior, and for those of you who may not know Alaskans, they are hard-sided but feature a nifty and simple hydraulic system that raises and lowers the top portion. So when you're driving, it's sitting low (like an oversized truck cap) and more aerodynamic (better mileage). And then you pump it up at the campsite. 6ft3in standing room inside.

http://www.alaskancamper.com/sitemap.htm

It weighs around 2000 pounds wet. Obviously a 3/4 ton truck is needed, and probably one with helper springs or air bags. Folks on rv.net from whom I learned how to check out this camper suggested that one can never have too much truck, and suggested even getting a 1 ton truck to carry this. I don't want dual rear wheels. I'll have to measure the distance between the bottom (it's 4ft wide so sits between wheel wells of a typical pickup) and the overhang portion. I'm told some modern pickups may not fit it. Probably not an issue for me, as I'll be looking at Gen 1 or Gen 2's, with longbox.

Anyway, now I have to save my money for a truck purchase, probably in the Spring. But am glad that one part of the equation is settled (though I didn't think it would work out this way, when opportunity knocks...)

Cheers!
--Robert
Old 09-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice camper! Reminds me of my 72 Amerigo a tree fell on 2 years ago.

I have the camper package on my 2500 and it pulled/handled that one fine, a little wander with the track bar in the shape it was in. The 72 was an 11 foot high top with fixed fiberglass roof, it was pretty heavy and tall, I think just over 10' with it on the truck and overhung either side by about 6 inches.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by gorms
Nice camper! Reminds me of my 72 Amerigo a tree fell on 2 years ago.

I have the camper package on my 2500 and it pulled/handled that one fine, a little wander with the track bar in the shape it was in. The 72 was an 11 foot high top with fixed fiberglass roof, it was pretty heavy and tall, I think just over 10' with it on the truck and overhung either side by about 6 inches.
Thanks, sounds like I might be ok with a 2500. Guys on the RV sites say "you can't have too much truck, when it comes to carrying a slide-in camper" and tend to err on the side of more than less, as far as weight-carrying capacity goes. As you say, with the camper package it might be quite adequate to carry that Alaskan.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 PM

Nice camper! They don't build them like that any more (Copper? Brass?). I just purchased a second-hand Phoenix camper for my 6' box. 'Build 'em cheap' is the watchword nowadays.
Congrats!

Quick Reply: Gen 1 or 2 for long-distance trips with truck camper?