2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

front speaker doesnt work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front speaker doesnt work.

i have the I think (infinity) sound system in my truck. My front drivers door speaker doesnt work. the tweeter, factory mounted does but the 6*9 doesnt? i checked the speaker and connection and it seemed fine. is there an amplifier in the truck? where would it be? i replaced the factory radio think that it had a bad channel but it was the same with the new radio. btw i have the old one still if anyone wants it.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:40 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the amps are located right on the speakers themselves.
Both of my backs are out, have yet to figure out why but I'm leaning torwards the head unit.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:50 PM
GSP

On my 99 the passinger door speaker doesnt work and sometimes it does. Ive never checked it yet. Maybe ill learn whats wrong with it too.
My back speakers and drivers side work good but I broke my drivers side tweeter when I put in my gauge piller.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:38 PM

Probably blown. You can check it with an ohm meter or a 9 volt battery. If it has the amp on the back make sure you disconnect that from the speakers voice coil first so you do not get any interfierence.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:35 AM

water gets down there and rusts the coil to the manget go buy some cheap 6x9 the cross over is bolted to the old speakers remove the cross over and zip tie it to the new speakers and your good to go!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TerryS
water gets down there and rusts the coil to the manget go buy some cheap 6x9 the cross over is bolted to the old speakers remove the cross over and zip tie it to the new speakers and your good to go!
I have seen this too.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah I went looking (not hard enuff) for speakers cuz mine would cut out intermitantly. Ended up paying a local ricer mod shop too much $$$.
Of course I didn't know this until I picked it up and they handed me the old POS 6x9s and asked what I wanted to do with them. I coulda saved a lot by going to wally mart and getting a nice cheap set of two way aftermarket. Amps aren't on the speakers.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:56 PM
GSP

What is a "cross over" ? You mean a little amplifier is attached to the speaker and your are calling the amp. a crossover?
Old 12-10-2005, 03:54 AM

yes remove it from the old speaker 2 bolts . I zip tied it to the new 6x9s make sure the window will not hit it when you put it down
Old 12-10-2005, 05:46 AM
Chapter President

The front speakers on my '99 Infinity system had the amps on them...what a pile, I cannot believe Infinity let someone put their name on this set-up.

....pitched the speakers, and put in some REAL Infinity's, sure makes a difference in the sound quality the neighbors are getting when I leave the subdivision....
Old 12-10-2005, 08:16 AM

amp and crossover

I own a 2001 now and have not had the door panels off but on the '98 and 2000 rams that i have owned before now the unit attached to the back of the 6x9 door speaker is an amplifier and crossover.Just unhook the plug that connects to the unit and use a volt meter to find the 12v lead to the amp.I do not like this factory setup either.I replaced my 6x9's in my '98 because the passenger side was blown-no sound at all but signal to speaker. The bad part about replacing with a better 2 or 3way speaker is that you are not going to hear the full spectrem of sound because of the factory crossover.I anyone is unsure about crossovers,here is a short explanation. The full spectrem of sound that we can hear starts around 20 hz and go up to around 15khz or more-not real sure on that.No one speaker can audit the full spectrem.For example,a 10 in subwoofer may start to distort at 220 hz.A crossover for that subwoofer would only allow any signal 220 hz or lower to come through.For the same reason the tweeter on you 3 way 6x9 has a crossover to only allow maybe 1.5khz and above to pass through.The factory amp on the back of the door speaker is only allowing lower sound freqencies to pass through that is why you will not really hear the mid range and tweeter on the new speaker using the factory wires and head.When the time comes with my '01 I will replace my factory cd player and door speakers and run all new speaker wires directly from the new head unit.All info I have given is correct to my knowledge.Let me If any of this is not accurate that you know of.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:27 PM
GSP

Thanks branhay.

How do the door panels pop off without wreaking anything? 1999.

Slide a stiff putty knife in there and pop out some plastic push in pegs ???
Old 12-10-2005, 07:57 PM

When my driver door speaker went out, I just replaced the whole system with new componet speakers and larger wire, also replaced the head unit. The factory system is cheap trash from mexico imho
Old 12-11-2005, 05:10 AM

I used cheap Kenwoods single cones $51.00 at bestbuy sounds great to me.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Chapter President

I used a large screwdriver to get the pegs started, then a pair of wire strippers around the pins- that way I could pry on two sides of the peg and reduce the potential for permanent damage to them.
Somebody posted a link on this site where you could purchase the plugs in pakages of 10 - I am sure that the site would be cheaper than heading to your local Chrysler parts department!

Several people have noted that they replaced their head units - I wholeheartedly concur, even if you put good speakers in, the signal quality they get from the factory unit is pretty lame...... it's pretty easy to replace, but plan on running your own speaker and external amp wires, if you do so......

Quick Reply: front speaker doesnt work.