2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Front axle U joint replacement

Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front axle U joint replacement

I was doing some preventative maintenance on the 96 and decided to look over the front suspension components closely. The passenger side U joint has a small amount of slop in it unlike the driver side axle joint which is tight with no slop at all. You can rattle the passenger side joint slightly by shaking it. Also, the passenger side joint has some rust around the joint in a very different amount compared to the driver side. I assume it is dry inside, hence the rust. I have experienced no drivability issues or noises but I am sure that is coming shortly. My truck has 86k orig miles on it and I am sure those joints have never been changed out. First off, I must say I cannot believe the factory front axle U joints are sealed and non serviceable. What a poor design for a joint on a CAD unit that is always in motion even when 4wd is not engaged.

Has anyone drilled and tapped one of the caps on the joint for a small pipe plug that can be removed for greasing? It that possible or advisable given the material thickness of the joint caps? Because I am not having any drivability issues yet, it there anything I can do to prolong the life of the front axle U joints?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Because I am not having any drivability issues yet, it there anything I can do to prolong the life of the front axle U joints?
I'd say drive it more! I've got 230k on one and replaced the other at 215 because one of the caps was splitting, still no play in it though. I've found the factory sealed ones last the longest, only one that didn't make it past 150k was the front-front driveshaft, because of all the oil that washes down on it (I guess).
Old 09-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gorms
I'd say drive it more! I've got 230k on one and replaced the other at 215 because one of the caps was splitting, still no play in it though. I've found the factory sealed ones last the longest, only one that didn't make it past 150k was the front-front driveshaft, because of all the oil that washes down on it (I guess).
My passenger side joint rattles when you wiggle it so it is done. No splitting though. Driver side it nice and tight with no play. Must have been replaced before I had it or maybe the passenger side was marginal when new for some reason. Definately did not make it anywhere near 230k though! I would like to install servicable ones in there if there is such a part made by anyone.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Soot, I also would advise you to put a premium cold forged lifetime such as a Spicer 5-806X. I really believe you need the additional strength.

However, if you are dead set on doing a greasable one, look for Precision # 374, if you can't get one locally, Rock Auto has them for $ 32.79 each.

Quad 4X4 has them as well.

http://www.quad4x4.com/DodgeDana60front1994-1997.html
Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Soot, I also would advise you to put a premium cold forged lifetime such as a Spicer 5-806X. I really believe you need the additional strength.

However, if you are dead set on doing a greasable one, look for Precision # 374, if you can't get one locally, Rock Auto has them for $ 32.79 each.

Quad 4X4 has them as well.

http://www.quad4x4.com/DodgeDana60front1994-1997.html
Thanks a lot for that info. I read up on the Spicer unit at quad 4x4. I am definately wanting greasable, cold forged and top of the line. Spending an extra $50 is no problem. Lots of water on roads in the Seattle area and I want the ability to grease.That unit at quad is $84 and they list details about the manufacture. I have not been able to confirm the cold forge/manufacture details of the Precision unit though. Which one would you go with and do you think the premium unit at quad is superior compared to the Precision unit (Federal Mogul)? I am also wondering if there is much of a difference in unit strength between greasable and non given the design to accomodate a zerk.

I read this about the 5-806X:

"Part of the Spicer Life series of replacement parts, these 1480WJ series u-joints never need greasing due to the bevelled trunion and triple lip seal that is incorporated in the bearing cap. This design also eliminates water contamination. These come pre-greased with a high quality grease and are non-greasable for higher strength than hollow bodied greasable joints."
Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Precision joints are simply run of the mill, nothing special. I don't know much about the Quad units other than their reputation on the Internet. I guess my hesitation is more in regards to the incredible torque these things can produce and the destruction if a joint lets go. I would say if you aren't really abusive, then a standard joint could live, if money isn't the issue, then I might run the greasable Quad joints. They will still be somewhat weaker, by the very need to get grease to all 4 cups. ( drilled passages )

I hadn't really considered the additional water you see out there, if I lived there I might also think like you do.

As it is, when I do hook onto something, it is either gonna move or I am gonna break something.........
Old 09-23-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Precision joints are simply run of the mill, nothing special. I don't know much about the Quad units other than their reputation on the Internet. I guess my hesitation is more in regards to the incredible torque these things can produce and the destruction if a joint lets go. I would say if you aren't really abusive, then a standard joint could live, if money isn't the issue, then I might run the greasable Quad joints. They will still be somewhat weaker, by the very need to get grease to all 4 cups. ( drilled passages )

I hadn't really considered the additional water you see out there, if I lived there I might also think like you do.

As it is, when I do hook onto something, it is either gonna move or I am gonna break something.........
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Will definately install a unit that is cold forged and greaseable. If I don't find it local or can't confirm that, I will order the unit from Quad 4x4. Thanks again.