2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 AM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory alarm

My truck has the factory alarm system... but it almost looks like the previous owner added it himself after he purchased the truck... the wiring harness under the dash is quite a nightmare.

I have a question though, whenever I disconnect my batteries, when I go to reconnect them the alarm goes off. Is this supposed to happen? The ONLY way I have found to disable it is to use the key fob. This doesn't seem right.

Is there any other way to disable it? How hard would it be to just completely remove the alarm system? When I was doing my auto -> manual conversion, I pulled the box out under the dash when I was adding the clutch pedal. When I tried to start the truck it wouldn't send any power to the starter until I put the box back in place.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
IIRC you can disable it by unlocking the door with the key and then start the truck w/o problems.

I have had my batts disconnected and upon re connect the alarm did not go off, but will chirp three times, notifying of tampering.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EVS II alarm system that you could get as a factory option was available over the parts counter also.

I've installed a few of them in 2nd Gens and they are all plug and play making them easily removable. Do an Internet search and you should be able to find a manual for it easily.

It does come with a harness that integrates into the steering column wiring so just unplugging the box is not really an option. It shouldn't be a major project to trace every back and pull it all out. If I remember right, there are 3 connections (plug ins) in the steering column, constant power, ground, the alarm horn feed and if equipped, a tie in to the power locks, as well as a "hidden" over ride button to start the truck if the alarm has been tripped and the key fob is not available. The hidden button could be anywhere but the harness provided was never long enough to go farther than the lower edge of the dash underneath anyways. Just look for a 1/4 inch diameter black momentary button somewhere ( if it's still the switch provided in the kit)

The alarm going off when you reconnect the batteries is normal.

The EVS system is good for what it is. It's mostly a noise maker and does have a starter disconnect if the alarm is tripped but it is also easily defeated.

Hope it helps

Jeff