2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Constant power for some add-ons

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Constant power for some add-ons

I've been trying to figure out how to get power directly from the battery to some stuff in the cab. I know I could get one of those slick strips from Geno's, but I'd still have to figure out how to get a wire through the firewall or where to tap off of. ??? Please enlighten me. I'm trying to get the electrical stuff all cleaned up and ready for my gauges. Thanks in advance.<br><br>-SFB
Old 02-25-2003, 06:29 PM
Chapter President

Re:Constant power for some add-ons

I am not sure if you want a constant power supply feeding your gauges or not. Usally, the lights on your gauges would hook up to a ignition-controled source, so that they shut off when the key is off. Just splice into a line that is controlled by the ignition. Just be sure that the line will not go dead if you turn off the accesory that it is hooked up to. The best way though is too use a extend-a-fuse in your fuse box. If you want to run a constant power source from your battery, then you can buy adapters at NAPA to add wires to your battery. Just make sure you get a big enough line to handle the amps that your accessories require. I have a CB, radar detector, cellphone, and car audio equipmenty hooked up to a 4 gauge line that comes from the battery to under my drivers seat. I used a fused junction box (available at any car audio store). They make them with numerous hook-ups.<br>As far as running any wire through the fire wall, it is easy to find a spot where there is room to run with the factory wires. just be careful of moveing parts like your throttle cable and e-brake. If you have to do it like I did, you can find a open spot in the fire wall to drill a hole throughbut BE VERY CAREFUL! Then try to find some thing to use as a grommet to protect your wires from the sharp edges. Again car audio stores will have some products for this and almost any electrical project. good luck
Old 02-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm using the Painless Wiring set-up from Geno's Garage.
It gives you 7 fused power taps.
4 hot with key on and 3 constant hot circuits.
The block comes with a circuit breaker for the 12V feed, everything is color coded, and it uses a relay to energize the key on circuits.
Nice set-up for adding accessories.
I used the grommet in the firewall next to the brake booster as a pass-through for all my accessory wiring.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:15 PM

For the lighting on your gauges, the add-a-fuse works well...the top of fuse number 5 will allow your gauges to be brightened or dimmed along with the rest of your dash lights.<br><br>There are other ways, too. Find the wire color under the dash and hook into it. The color, from memory is tan/white on some and red/blue on others...I could look it up in the service manual if you want to do it that way.