2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Charging System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Charging System Problem

Yes they have a batt temp sensor in the case for the drivers side battery. I have been running without it for some time since I went to the Optima batteries. In my case I took it out on purpose, running over the roads as I do I need the charge rate lower, it now runs right on 14 volts by the dash gage.

The alternator is a standard dumb alt, it has two wires for the coil which currently go to the computer. There has been some discussion of any changes to the running if this is not used, but that is easy to fool if you had a problem, just take any junk alternator and pull the coil, wire it to the computer and forget it. The computer will be energizing the junk coil and thinking it is controlling the alternator. I doubt that it would be necessary though. Mine ran fine with a bad alternator a while back.

Chrysler made two different electronic regulators. One has two terminals one has three. You will probably get the three, one terminal goes to 12 volts on the ign side, the other two go to the two alternator terminals. IF it gets to that, I can look up the actual wiring in one of the older manuals.