2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

A/C compressor how many

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C compressor how many

Just had my Evaporator, heater core and Dryer replaced at the dealership, and is blowing cold(great), but just wondering how often the compressor should cycle on and off. Seems like when it first starts up it runs for awhile and then cycles about every 30 seconds, meaning I can hear the clutch click on and off. Also it seems my engine noise is alot louder now comming thru the dash or somewhere ever since they removed the dash to do the work. I checked the foam along the inside fenders and they are ok, but it looks like maybe there is a grommet missing , if there was one, from the heater core tubes going into the firewal. Could this piece be missing??? and what elso could there be, I certainly dont remember there being that much noise.

thanks

Stix

99 2500 diesel 6 speed 173xxx miles 4x4 Q cab.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:15 AM

Did you check the pressure while running, a cheap walmart gauge will tell you how many lbs. Maybe its tad low on freon?

Can I ask how much it cost to do all that? My evap is leaking and I'm estimating doing it myself, replacing evap and core.

Where you told to replace the drier, or is it just best practice?

Could you let me know the prices on each item.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by jlipskoc
Thanks
I've always been told and have read that anytime you open the system and replace evap, comp, and/or condenser you should always replace the drier. It supposedly collects alot of crap and becomes less efficient.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:46 PM

total cost was about 1500 dollars+ or - , labor was about 600 I believe, and the rest was parts--(dodge factory parts). and the Dryer was needed. So basically I got a complete new system except for the compressor. I was going to do it myself but pulling the entire dash was going to take more than just me--and for 600 labor which included vacuuming the system for moisture and recharging and checking for leaks, was worth it for me to let the dealer do it, besides they gave me a 12month warrenty on parts and labor. I asked them change the heater core also because you have to pull the dash for it also, so might as well pay only one labor charge instead of another later. Also you should have seen how dirty the evap was. I also found out why The motor noise was so much louder,, they forgot to put the foam around the heater core tubes going into the firewall. I found it in the box and put it in myself and it made a huge difference in sound.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlipskoc

the drier collects moisture in the system, outside air is full of moisture so when you open the system the drier gets flooded with moisture and looses its efficiancy, although its not always needed and pulling a good vacume, charging with nitrogen, then pulling another good vacume will help rid the system. im sure there is bound to be someone else that can help more.