2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

A/C Compressor Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Compressor Clutch

Anybody know a part number for the tool to remove a compressor clutch on a '94 and where I can get one. Mine went out about two years ago and it is time to replace it but I can't find a tool to remove it. I don't want to replace the compressor, it is in good shape and it appears as though the system has held its charge.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on how the clutch failed, you may or may not get away with just replacing it. If lots of heat was involved front seal damaged could easily occured causing the r134 to leak. Also at times the front hub on the compressor will get damaged at the front where the snap ring holds the pulley in place. Usually with those compressors all you have to do is remove the front nut and the front plate usually comes off with some gentle rocking back and forth (get the spacer washers off at this time). You can even use a small screwdriver to pry from side to side. Under that is the first snap ring. Remove that and the pulley comes off, and then another snap ring to get the coil off.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much. I was under the assumption that I would need a puller as I have used on several other compressors. I am very confident that the front seal has not been damaged. It was actually a very clean failure. Three flat metal strips that attach the outside of the pulley to the inside have sheared off. Nothing spins out of true or wobbles. Just can't engage compressor since even when clutch engaged, it doesn't transmit power from outside of pully.