2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Compressor

I drove to work the other day and shut my rig off, when I did so I heard a metal on concrete noise...well when I investigated I found a round ring off of the front of my a/c compressor clutch had fell off. It had been making some weird noises when I tried to cycle the a/c on the previous day. It looks like I am just going to replace the whole compressor/clutch. My question is, are all a/c compressors created equal? I found some places online that have a new compressor/dryer for around 325 bucks. The dealership wants about 500 bucks and Autozone wants around 400 for the compressor alone. Any places online that you guys have dealt with before?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM

I got a compressor for my rig on ebay for like 160.00 shipped to my door. I'm getting the system charged this week with a new dryer.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/TechChoi...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Old 04-26-2009, 10:32 PM

That looks like a good deal, I only wonder about the quality. I really don't know if there is just one major manufacturer of a/c compressors and everyone stamps their names on them or how that works.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 PM

You don't have to replace the entire compressor assy., only the clutch, about $127.00 list at the dealer, worst case scenario.
You actually only need the front clutch cover from the assy., as long as your bearing didn't fail, which you could probably find used even.
Its usually only the spring steel tabs that wear out on the cover where they are attached.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by HotRodTodd
You don't have to replace the entire compressor assy., only the clutch, about $127.00 list at the dealer, worst case scenario.
You actually only need the front clutch cover from the assy., as long as your bearing didn't fail, which you could probably find used even.
Its usually only the spring steel tabs that wear out on the cover where they are attached.

That is possible but if your clutch failed due to rust and corrosion like mine... which it sounds like it did... It can be a PITA to get the old one off.. It was a PITA just to get my old compressor out.. ALL bolts broke off with the bolt still through the compressor so it couldn't drop down, I had to use a HARD CORE air hammer to literally bust the compressor off the remainder of the bolts... Good Luck !
Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
If it's a sanden compressor... buy it from Omega in Dallas. Buy a USA made replacement and avoid rebuilts + china made replacements.

M
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 PM

I am looking at getting the whole compressor, I think the clutch would be too much of a pain to get off and it looks to be the original compressor. Who do I purchase omega compressors from?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:14 AM

I've got to replace mine too, hasn't worked in 2 years.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Are the compressors off the gassers compatible with the ones on the diesels? They look very close to the same unit. If not is it the same from the pulley forward? Thats what was making the noise on mine and then the piece hanging off of the pulley fell off.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 12VRattler
Are the compressors off the gassers compatible with the ones on the diesels? They look very close to the same unit. If not is it the same from the pulley forward? Thats what was making the noise on mine and then the piece hanging off of the pulley fell off.
The compressors are NOT the same gas to diesel, the mounting holes are totally different and there is no way to use a gas compressor. The other thing the diesel revs much slower so I would think the clutch pulley would be a different size. Just guessing on that one as I have never measured it.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 PM

Well I didn't figure it would be that easy. I guess I am still looking for a good 12v compressor then!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:46 PM

Rockauto.com has compressors staring less than $200.

I'm in the same situation. What needs to be replaced when opening up the A/C system for a compressor replacement? Dryer? Orifice tube?

Dave
Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 AM

Yes, suppose to change the dryer and tube when you change the compressor. I didn't know this when I did mine and only changed the comp. Had the system charged the other day. I didn't have any issues and it's blowin' icy cold!

Wherever you get the comp. from, Make sure it has the oil in it. Some come with and some come without. The one I got from Tech Choice auto parts came with the oil ready to go.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodTodd
X2. An AC shop may even give you a used front disc/cover off a failed compressor.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 AM

I'd also go with just replacing the clutch. If it is a pain to get the thing apart, they make an A/C puller/installer. Possibly could rent from an auto store. And yeah they do reccommend replacing the dryer (if ya end up doin a whole compressor), but we've done a few @ work w/o dryers, and havent had any problems. And I would use plenty of anti-seize on the entire length of the mounting bolts in case ya ever have to take the thing off again, they love to seize up in the compressor like someone else already mentioned. And with your truck being a lil bit older, it probably wouldnt hurt to flush the system while ya got it apart. That way, also, you dont have to worry about having too much oil in the system when ya install the new compressor if it comes oiled.

If ya dont wanna buy guages and stuff, do the compressor yourself and take it somewhere just to have it charged, that'd save ya some $$$

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor