2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown engine

i am thinking about buying a 94 dodge with a 12 valve and p-7100 pump and a standard tranny for 600 bucks. the kicker is that the engine is bad. it was taken out of the truck, pulled all apart, and then left to rot in the bed of the truck. the head and i.p. was pulled off at one point in time, then they kinda sorta slapped the head back on,i don't know anything about it, broken rod, bad bearings, busted block, or what. is there anything that these cummins are bad about doing as far as busting the block if it has a thrown rod or anything like that. how much could i get a new rod and have some sleeves put in it at a machine shop? i'm hoping that all it needs is one rod, one piston, and all new bearings and gaskets. but it could be worse. the head is pretty rusty, do ya'll think it needs a valve job? can i get a remanned head/or engine for it? will the old 12 valve blocks work with me injection pump and head. will a 24 valve head work with my i.p.? im pretty new to the idea of a cummins, but i have a lot of exerience with the ford 7.3's and i know that the 7100 pump is the baddest pump you can get. bosch has always been the best
Old 11-19-2004, 03:07 PM

does anyone think that the truck is worth 600 bucks?? its got a good 5-speed, the engine i could use as a core and the rear end and body is in pretty good shape. the interior isn't bad
Old 11-19-2004, 03:15 PM

for 600 i would buy it
if you dont fix it up then sell the parts
Old 11-19-2004, 03:42 PM

ok, im going to pick it up right now, its about an hour away but that ain't bad since i drive an hour to an hour and a half to work every day. thanks for the input. any more input will be appreciated. by the way, this is my first post here at the site.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:31 PM

Let us know how it comes out. That sounds like a good deal for 600$.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:44 PM

hey dzl, why don't you tke that banks plate out? it wwould run better!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:00 PM

hey good news! i found out that it was only parked because it was "blowing oil out the dipstick" i bet if i cleaned it all up real good and put a better breather on it, she would run like a champ!!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:27 PM

When mine started blowing oil out the dipstick it was because the crankcase vent tube was plugged. Check it out.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles? Id buy it for the price. if it was closer. parts aint cheap, but theres not much to go bad. No sleves in the engine I belive. Let us know
Old 11-20-2004, 06:10 PM

ok, went picked the truck up. the motor was laying in the back of the truck with no cover or nothin along with the transmission, radiator, intercooler, and other misc. stuff. the turbo is almost locked up. i may be able to take it aart and clean it. i startred taking it apart and found that 3,4,and 5 cylinders had some rust damage in them. the best looking one was the #1. and i could move the piston a little. there was i'd say about .020 in. of clearance side to side. how much is normal for a cummins 5.9 is this enough to cause bad blow-by? do ya'll think that if i could get the cylinders cleaned out and get some new rings, bearings and gaskets for it that it would go ahead and run? i am going to have the head reworked and i think they have a acid dip stuff that will clean the rust off. the engine has 140,000 miles on it. it should still be running strong under even heavy abuse. the stock fuel plate was still in there, i had to fix that problem right quick! lol. and i took the injection pump off...... the gear poped off just like it should, but there is no keyway to get it back in time! i don't know how to get it in time. can you get it close and fine tune it on the pump while its running?? does this gear have to be in time? im sure it does but i could be wrong. the engine is locked up a little and i didn't move it or the pump at all. do you think i could just put it back on and hope that its still in time? and how do you get the cam out of the engine??? i can't seem to get to the lifters.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:23 PM

i have the engine torn down to the block. i have numbered everything that came out of the engine. i cannot find any good websites to look at rebuild kits and prices. i would like to have the engine bored out, the head machined, new pistons rod bearings, main, and cam bearings put in it.
can i change the lifters but not the cam?
can i get an aftermarket cam for it?
i want to put a high performance turbo, injectors, intake and exhaust system. do not want to twin but they still can run 40-50 psi boost with a single turbo. right or wrong? i think they can anyways.
how do you time the injection pump on that engine!? i know it can be done, but how! lol
Old 11-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Banned

You can change the cam out with a high performance one. I think you have to change the lifters and cam at the same time. Don't remember though (beer is getting to me). You can run 40-50 psi out of a single turbo very easily. A PDR-HX40 or one of the B1 turbos will work great for that. For injectors I'd do some 370's. I think a scotty 2 intake system will work with an HX40 or B1 turbo. 4" straight pipe exhaust. Be sure to o-ring the head while it's off. It's cheap insurance. I'd also go with some head studs. I don't know about timing it.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:55 AM

There is probably a very good reason you can't find a rebuild kit for a Cummins
Old 11-22-2004, 08:34 AM

yeah, i can imagine why theres no cummins kits. most dodges don't even last one cummins. lol. i was looking inside the turbocharger and exhaust manifolds and the tops of pistons. it didn't burn a drop of oil!!! only 150,000 miles on it. i plan to put power everything on it, bucket seats. the works. im glad to know that a single turbo is capable of 40-50 psi boost! i like the idea of 370 injectors and scotty 2 intake. what about a bigger intercooler, or is the stock one fine? it looks pretty beefy. i don't know why they paint them black?? i never see painted aftermarket intercoolers! seems like the paint would hold the heat. the aluminum radiator isn't painted. just a thought.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by banks twinram
i don't know why they paint them black?? i never see painted aftermarket intercoolers! seems like the paint would hold the heat.
It's black for a reason. Take a look HERE for a brief tutorial on black body radiation.

Rusty

Quick Reply: blown engine