2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question black smoke

Is there any way that i can make my 97 CTD 12v pour out black smoke w/o tearing up the engine if so what do you do also if i get it to smoke do i need any extra gauges to prevent problems
Old 06-22-2004, 07:58 PM

Why?? Black smoke is unburnt fuel and a waste of money. Care to explain why you want to waste money??
Old 06-22-2004, 09:13 PM

check into udjusting the star wheel do a search once I did I got better lower end response and some puffs of smoke. i have no guages yet and I dont get to much smoke but just the amount I like to see when I tromp on it as for waste of money I like the look like a big rig they put out big clouds of awsome smoke and the sound is awsome and that is what I am duplicating with my truck
Old 06-22-2004, 09:20 PM

Question Am I the only one here that is scratching his head at this?.......

What is sooo cool about seeing polluting smoke pour out of your tail pipe? I dunno........ maybe things are different out west here, but if I saw black smoke bellowing out of mine I'd be taking it in for a check-up. No disrespect...... maybe a rant...... but I don't get it.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:03 PM

You can turn your smoke screw some, this will help. You have to do this when you add a cam plate because of the added fuel. Look at the instruction on how for adding a cam plate on www.tstproducts.com. These instructions have pictures on how to do it. While you are at it you could move your stock cam plate so the you have a little more power. You won't have to worry about tearing up the engine any with these small mods and gauges are not a necessity.
dave
Old 06-23-2004, 12:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Am I the only one here that is scratching his head at this?.......
No not at all.
Besides wasting money it gives diesels a bad name and a reason for more laws eventually outlawing diesels.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Banned

I only use my smoke bombs for ricers and tailgaters!!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:39 AM

Outlaw diesel??? if you ask me diesel is the future smoke or no smoke. With the cont. improvement of Bio-Diesel there will be a large push for people to start buying diesel powered cars and trucks and start using Bio-diesel. as for the black smoke, if they want to blow smoke let them blow smoke. Why are the big diesel pulling tractors so pop. are at a tractor pull?? because the blow alot of smoke..anyways my 2 cents.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I switched, on my daily driver, to smaller/newer injectors (EDM) just to eliminate some smoke out of consideration for these behind me (and also to have more usable throttle at low rpm). Smoke was fun...for a very short while. Maybe it's a getting older thing?
Lot of smoke with average HP is like they say around here..."Big Hat and No Cattle"
Seems to me, if we don't police ourselves, Uncle will!
Just my opinion.

RJ
Old 06-23-2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by rjohnson
I switched, on my daily driver, to smaller/newer injectors (EDM) just to eliminate some smoke out of consideration for these behind me. Maybe it's a getting older thing?
Lot of smoke with average HP is like they say around here..."big hat and no cattle"
Seems to me, if we don't police ourselves, Uncle will! Just my opinion.

RJ
That is for sure!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:28 AM

I CAN smoke, very well in fact, but It only happens when im in a hurry, want to have a little fun, someone is tailgating me or any other excuse i get to pour the coals to her.

As far as getting your truck to smoke, well i aint to experianced in the 12 valve department, but i think if you turn the smoke screw, and maybe adjust the plate you could git-er-done
Old 06-23-2004, 10:40 AM

there is a point where you can drive and have minimal smoke to you really load the engine, like short shifting and lugging will make it smoke more,if the smoke is what you want but you want it some times get a lil over stock fuel plate ,not too big of one,cause too much smoke is really a waste of money and a ***** to clean off your truck,you go up 1 or 2 numbers on your fuel plate youll get some power and a lil smoke,you lug it and you got what you want, there are states that have a smoke checker now for diesels and they are not cheap fines,new jersey is one of the worse, they sit on the side of the road with a sniffer and check every diesel truck,some times at the bridges crossing into pa,so becarefull what you do
Old 06-24-2004, 08:57 AM

Misunderstanding

Everyone was on me thinking i wanted to have smoke pour out all the time. All i really wanted was for quick acceleration and to give a hint to people that are tailgating me So if now you have suggestions please write and sorry for the misunderstanding about the "pollution"

mitch@jc'sCTD
red 2500 4x4 nerf bars no cat or muffler bedliner wind defector no silencer ring and looking for more suggestions on what else to do
Old 06-24-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitch

Sorry if we (I) mis-assumed your intentions! Rude way to treat a new member, ah?
This question comes up fairly often, usually from younger members, and especially in the "tractor pulling" area of the country. Some seem to think smoke = HP = Cool.
Glad you clarified your original question...I'm sure the 12v guys will help you out!
Good Luck
RJ
Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Outlaw diesel???

It's already been tried in the Los Angeles basin. The three county South Coast Air Quality Management District passed a law that would phase out diesels. Truck fleets, trash trucks, street sweepers, commercial haulers, etc were to be the first. It was eventually going to extend to all diesels that reside in the management area. Of course diesel trucks could still drive though, just not be registered in the area. Many fleets started converting to propane in anticipation of the law.

The Diesel Engine Manufactors Association filed a lawsuit against it but lost in three federal courts for the last four years till just recently when the Supreme Court ruled against the new law saying it wasn't the intention of the Clean Air Act that there be different rules for every area of the country. The Clean Air Act has two sets of rules, the federal and California. Other states can adapt Calif. standards if they wish.

The South Coast Air Quality Management District vows they aren't going to be swayed by the Supreme Court ruling and will find a way around it. In the Court's decision they even stated the district could probably find a way around it. It will likely be back in court again and may not lose next time around.

Quick Reply: black smoke