2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

back window leaks!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry back window leaks!!

I cannot seem to stop the water from leaking in!! I have sealed across the top of the window, sealed the 3rd brake light in (it'll NEVER come out), pulled the headliner to see where it was coming in, re-sealed, still leaking. What should I try next?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:03 PM

I just discovered today that my back window is leaking too. Seems to me I have seen threads in the past on this topic but never paid them attention because my window wasn't leaking. I'll go search around and report back.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 PM

I haven't been able to get to the window to have an in-depth look at it yet, it needs to stop raining and I need to remove the canopy first. All I know so far is that my back seat is wet, on the seat and along the top of the back rest area and some dampness around the window itself. Anyway, here are a few hints I will throw at you DragonSlayer..... First of all, check out this TSB from Dodge on the subject.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/23-13-98.htm

From what I read, most commonly the problem is the third brake light but since you have already addressed that, the next thing mentioned is that drain rails get clogged and no matter how much sealing you do, rain sits in the channel and eventually drips into the back seat area. Next thing is cracking of the plastic frame surrounding the window. If that were the case, a new window is recommended. Let me mention that from what I have read, the rear slider glass is very easy to break when removing and installing, so be prepared for that heartache if you decide to take it out for inspection and repair. Someone mentioned 'flow-able silicone' to use as a sealant for last resort. Apparently it is very liquid and flows into places where usual silicone can't go. Also, check to see that the latch is holding tight because lots of water can make it through a tiny opening. Since I have not looked into my problem yet, keep in mind I know not (for sure) what I speak. So tomorrow if it is not raining (is this really June?) I will know more from inspection and experience.

Last edited by littlebuddie; 06-19-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Brain Fog
Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem over and over as you guys...Got fed up and pulled the back window,cleaned and re-sealed the whole thing...That was the only thing that finally fixed it....
Old 06-19-2010, 11:32 PM

Hi Diesel Dave2, what is the process of removing the back slider window - without breaking it? Once it is out, is it apparent where/what needs to be sealed? What sealer did you use? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To take the back window out takes alot of time and you can't rush it...A shape knife and you work your way around it...Its very time consuming,but you will get it out without breaking.My back slider leaked, but also was twisted,because the previse owner must of had a tank or something that slamed into the box...Instead of just leaving it,they used big pry bars and weg them against the cab and box....Bending the heck out of the cab which even twisted the sliding window...

Even thou I didn't care if I broke the orginal window,I was able to still remove it without breaking it...When you do get it out.....Clean ever bit of sealent off the window and channel...Dry fit your window to check where your biggest gaps are and that no metal is catching the window.

Use auto windowshield sealant only....Don't buy the cheap stuff at Wal-mart etc....Go to a windowsheild shop and buy 2 tubes..It will cost more but is worth it.Clean the channel and window with thinner and lay a thick bead the width of the channel about 1/8 thick(You want some squeeze out.remember where your largest gaps are).Install your window and place tape to hold the window in place...Once dryed you could cut any excess sealant that squeezed through..My back window hasn't leaked, since I did the re-seal...That was 4 years ago...
Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the tutorial Diesel Dave2,
Mine is currently leaking in two spots at the top on the passenger side. I don't think it is the 3rd light but will try the flowable silicone along the window when the weather dries up and if that doesn't work, I'll pull the window out. I don't think the flowable silicone could possibly handle wide gaps though. How is your progress DragonSlayer?

Last edited by littlebuddie; 06-20-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Old 06-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Good info, guys! Mine is still leaking, coming in from the top, next to the slider on both sides. I have silconed it twice and still leaks. I moved those tray things on the back wall to catch most of the water, just dump 'em and catch more!! This sucks! I think I'll price a new solid glass, then try to pull the slider out and reseal!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys that are talking about pulling the back window- there are two different window setups for the 2nd Gens. The early ones used a gasket while the later ones were glued in. The glass guys I talked to said it was nearly impossible to pull the glued ones without breakage. Not sure where the change was but I have '97 slider in the garage and it uses a gasket and my '01 is glued. They are NOT interchangeable. Just an FYI since some of the information might lead some that didn't know this to think it might be easy to pull a glued rear window out.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Russ Roth,
I found the leak at the 3rd brake light. The assembly is poorly designed to work with a flat gasket. I did not want to silicone the assembly to seal it to the cab because I knew it would be very difficult to remove the light at a later time. Went to ACE Hardware and found EDPM rubber weatherseal with a half round contour. I split the sections, then cut 2 pieces the length of the unit for top and bottom and 2 little pieces for the ends and made sure the ends all butted together tightly. You can't see the seal after it is installed so it looks fine and the shape of the rubber seals up the uneven varying gaps.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rr,
Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 AM

RR,

That is interesting you say that. When I called to have mine (solid) replaced they asked me if mine was glued or gasket. When I looked at it I could have sworm it was but when they came out for the repair it was indeed glued. I watched him oull it, clean all surfaces, apply the sealant and put it back in. Never had a problem since. When it was removed the tech showed me the "shrunken" old sealant that became unglued from the body.

David
Old 06-28-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by flintster
RR,

That is interesting you say that. When I called to have mine (solid) replaced they asked me if mine was glued or gasket. When I looked at it I could have sworm it was but when they came out for the repair it was indeed glued. I watched him oull it, clean all surfaces, apply the sealant and put it back in. Never had a problem since. When it was removed the tech showed me the "shrunken" old sealant that became unglued from the body.

David
Did he get it out in one piece? Inquiring minds want to know? I want a slider in mine and I can probably find one for no $$ eventually but not sure I can get it out with breaking it. It would be broken anyway since it would be right in front of the crusher. I haul crushed cars part time and I love the fact we can get parts off them. Second best job I've ever had.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM

Yep, Came out in one piece and they didn't charge me for the gasket, just the install.

David
Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by flintster
Yep, Came out in one piece and they didn't charge me for the gasket, just the install.

David
You are talking about the '94? Up above I understood you to say it was glued but a '94 wouldn't be.

Quick Reply: back window leaks!!