2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Auto Zone parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Zone parts

I may already knwo the answer, but im finally gearing up for the front end rebuild thats been delayed by weather here.

Pricing out the front end components.
ball joints, axel u-joints, rotors, tie rods.

Napa has all the same stuff, but is ALOT more expensive. And the guy was a total jag when i called. You would think he would be happier about a large order.

Anyways, I just dont want to end up having to redo this stuff in 6 months.
Im already alloting the better part of 2 days to tear it all down.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Some of it is probably the same brand. Oreilly's carry's several different brands and it shows in the warranty for the parts. I think the Moogs are lifetime. I replaced my trackbar 3 years ago with a lifetime warranty bar from Oreilly's and installed a DSS at the same time. And the truck is still as tight as ever today.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Based on my recent experience, I wouldn't buy from either of them, find a old school parts house that carries names you recognize like Moog ball joints (a little over sized) Spicer or TRW U joints etc, I am now geting my parts at Denver Drivetrain

~~~~~~~my post on another site about 7 months ago~~~paste~~~~~~~~
So a very good friend of mine (was a pro mechanic for several years before getting into the electrical biz) and I (not a pro but not a novice by any means) checked out the front end on my truck and found some wear on the lower ball joints. I decided to change all the ball joints and the shocks and get some new tires for the front too. did all that and got the front end aligned at Bear (this was about 2 weeks ago). This last Saturday I was turning right and heard a "thunk" turned a little right again into a parking lot and heard another "thunk". A quick glance and everything looked OK took it easy getting it the short distance home. Checked it out at the house and the ball joint in the passenger upper control arm had poped out. I took the joint to the parts house (big name we all buy parts there) and measured the bad one against a new one off the shelf, the bad one measured out .005 smaller than the off the shelf one when I measured them, when the store manager measured them he says they are the same (sorry just ain't so) but they decided to warranty it anyway. When we measured them at the house (before taking the bad one back to the parts house) the hole was .003 smaller than the joint, my buddy said he would expect to see more like .008 I also talked to the shop manager at Bear and he tells me he's heard of this happening a few times on the Dodge upper control arms and they always use Moog joints as they are a little over sized. So anyway I've got two new complete upper control arms ($297 each) sitting here and they will go on the truck tomorrow then of course back for another front end alignment. So just a little heads up I guess, I would have to say I am having second thoughts about the parts house I always thought of as being the place to go for quality parts, have a good night all.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:51 PM

I just did the track bar and all the tie rods on my front end. Got all my parts through Oriellys and they were all Moog. Awesome parts if you ask me. They had the best prices and they have the warranty too. Just be sure you get on Oriellys site and write down the part numbers before you go. I rarely get the right parts if I let people look it up in the computer for me.

I noticed the part numbers on PartsAmerica site listed McQuay Norris with the same numbers as Moog and chraged more for the Moogs and didn't have the lifetime warranty too. Thought that was interesting. Gotta always do your research these days before buying anything.

Well, good luck.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 PM

I put a load of Moog parts on my 97' 3 1/2 years and 100,000 km ago. - All ball joints, all (maybe minus one, I forget) steering joints, and a track bar. Everything minus maybe one joint. They'd done well so far. I had to replace the trackbar once, as it developed wear, but the warranty was super easy through the store I bought it from (bumper to bumper).

Just keep your receipts.

It's finally time for a DSS, but I couldn't see play anywhere else.

I also grease frequently with a quality synthetic grease.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Don't forget about Rock Auto. So far for me, they have been the cheapest and the quality and service is great.