2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

99 power seats in a 01

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 power seats in a 01

What ever the electronic box under the 99 seat console is I do not have it under the seat console on my 01. now I am guess all the wiring I took out of the 99 is not needed in the 01 right? Power seats by reading through the search posts need power both key on and off and also a ground. When striping the seat out of the 99 we chased the wiring harness way back under the dash by dropping the dash and there was no quick disconnect (drat!)there the wiring went right into the main harness.Anybody done this job before to save me some headaches this weekend.

Jason
Old 01-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Ok still doing more searching found out due to an excellent post by CTD2000 that that black box is a sctm to due with rollovers and set belt retraction locking devices. Can I replace the seat out of an 99 in a 01 and still be safe are the retracotrs different and if they are can I switch them? I wish I could have found a 01 seat

Jason
Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by greenworks
Ok still doing more searching found out due to an excellent post by CTD2000 that that black box is a sctm to due with rollovers and set belt retraction locking devices. Can I replace the seat out of an 99 in a 01 and still be safe are the retracotrs different and if they are can I switch them? I wish I could have found a 01 seat

Jason
It's a what?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 AM

i did the other way around, a '02 seat in my '98.

The later seats have an improved pendulum design that doesn't require the little black box. Also, the sensor for "is your seat belt buckled" moved from the reels on the early seats to the actual latch.. In that regard, keep your newer seat belt buckle.

As for the "will I be safe", that's a test for you... get the '99 belt to release (with the seat in a normal driving position) and give it a quick tug and see if it locks.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes -

option 1: I'd keep my '01 seatback and seat belt buckle, and replace the lower frame and cushion.
option 2: Is it only the bottom cushion that's worn out? If so, you can just unbolt the cushion and swap 'em, and you're done.
option 3: pull the seat upper apart and swap seat belt reels. I have NO idea how involved that would be.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:35 PM

well everything swaps very easily and since I have done a cloth swap before when I installed seat heaters it made pulling apart the seats a snap. Tore it down to the frame and removed all the wiring for the sctm the rest is the same as 01.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Greenworks,
How do you disassemble the seat back? I put 2001 seats in my 96 and did some wiring, hot and ground, for that box that goes under the console, but the driver's seat belt only comes out about 12 inches before it locks. Passenger side works fine, when the box has power. I tried to take the seat back off the driver's seat but got stuck in the middle, as the cover was attached in the middle of the back on the front side, and I couldn't figure out how to get it loose, without breaking/tearing/cutting something.
Meanwhile, I am trying to reverse-engineer the wiring by probing my 99's seat wiring. It appears to be identical to the 2001 seat wiring, box under console and all.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 PM

stamey there are "hog rings" that connect the fabric to the seat foam they rap around a steel rod in the seat you will have to remove these with a side cutter or comparable. Then pull the seat cover off, the 01 seat belt retractor will fiT into the 96 I beleive It did in a 01 to 99 anyway. After 99 they removed the sctm so no power is needed to decide the angle of the truck to lock the seat in a 2000+ there is a little plastic device that uses gravity to do the job when it is upright and level the seat belt goes in and out.

The passaeger seat will work off the sctm and the driver seat just off the newer deivce. As for wiring the harness for the sctm no idea I just removed all the wiring I didn't need, went from 12 wires to three, all you need for a 01.

The hog rings clips can be replaced with zip ties or go to a upolseerty shop and get more hog rings.

Happy wrecking

Oh...... I LOVE MY NEW POWER SEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason
Old 01-29-2006, 03:01 PM

If anyone needs it, I have the wiring info on the 99 seats, so the seatbelts work correctly. They are now working right in my 96, including the driver's seat. I am REAL happy about this.

Chris
The following users liked this post:
dalton97 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 02:11 PM

i know this post was a long time ago but do you still have the wiring info for the 99 seats? i have power seats out of a 99 and putting them in a 96 i got the seat functions to work but the seatbelts are locked if you could point me in the right direction on what wires need power for the seatbelt module to unlock and work properly
Old 03-21-2022, 06:23 AM

There is one wire that must go to power, besides the power seat wiring. While it should be wired to the door switches AND the ignition, in my case, I did not go through wiring it to the doors, only the ignition. This means that the seat belts do not unlock until the ignition is turned on. It does annoy some passengers who try to put on their seat belt before I start the truck, but I don't see it as a big deal. Unfortunately, as many years as it has been, I do not remember which wire that is. If I can look at my truck later I may be able to tell you which wire it is.

Chris
Old 03-27-2022, 09:39 AM

Looks like the blue wire is the one I wired to ignition.

Chris