2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

4th gen steering upgrade on a 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen steering upgrade on a 2nd gen

been hearing alot of talk on this. but havent seen a thread on here yet.. there might be but didn't find it.. anyone confirm if this is true.... I have the 98-99 T-steering already but this does sound better for when the time comes..

http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-24...ing-cheap.html
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its true. I recently bought the 2000 in my SIG after owning my 2011 and the steering was shot. After some investigation, parts from O'Riley's (Lifetime Warranty), 8 hours of pain the install was complete. I have a 4th GEN steering system in my 2000. The only real difference, and I am not a mechanic, is the steering damper. It mounts totally different. I even replaced the steering box, with hoses (X2).

Now I need to stop being cheap and order the steering upgrade support from BDS. Times are tough. Overall the installation was fairly easy. The parts were so much bigger than a stock 2000. I did however use the year 2000 ball joints and swing arm components. The 4th Gen would not work
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 AM

good to go, well i did do the 98-99 conversion 2 years ago from napa and I too have a lifetime warranty on them and its still great and tight. so i will keep this in the back burner. and yes agree the pictures I have seen the 4th gens are much bigger
Old 07-08-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
been hearing alot of talk on this. but havent seen a thread on here yet.. there might be but didn't find it.. anyone confirm if this is true.... I have the 98-99 T-steering already but this does sound better for when the time comes..

http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-24...ing-cheap.html

Here is a good thread on the upgrade, see below.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ver-spent.html
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 PM

I was at the Dodge dealership today and looked under one of the 2011. The tie rod is massive along with the rest of the rods. Looks pretty beefy.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by New2Diesel
Its true. I recently bought the 2000 in my SIG after owning my 2011 and the steering was shot. After some investigation, parts from O'Riley's (Lifetime Warranty), 8 hours of pain the install was complete. I have a 4th GEN steering system in my 2000. The only real difference, and I am not a mechanic, is the steering damper. It mounts totally different. I even replaced the steering box, with hoses (X2).

Now I need to stop being cheap and order the steering upgrade support from BDS. Times are tough. Overall the installation was fairly easy. The parts were so much bigger than a stock 2000. I did however use the year 2000 ball joints and swing arm components. The 4th Gen would not work
Do you have any pics??? My 2nd Napa box just gave up again..

Maybe this will work on my 95..
Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

So...those that have the T steering, are you satisfied? Those that have the 4th gen, how is it working?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM

like I said up on my thread I'm happy with my T-steering been 2 years. but if I was to do it. I would go with the 4th gen they are bigger and better ends to me plus cheaper than what i paid through napa alot cheaper.. look at www.sourceautomotive.biz they do have the upgraded steering for 3rd/4th and they upgrade them with grease fittings .. and the price is not bad compared to what I paid on mine 2 years ago
Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by wlowe
Here is a good thread on the upgrade, see below.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ver-spent.html
I wouldn't believe anything coming from that snake pit.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:22 PM

so does this stop the truck from wandering all over the road?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 AM

I installed this set up today on my truck. After looking at it I noticed there was not alot of room between the drag link and cross member. I jacked the right tire up three inches and the drag link hit the cross member. My truck has the stock suspension and no leveling kit. I think with at least a leveling kit it might not hit. I was not able to take any pictures and put the stock tie rods back on. These are my observations and it might work in your situation. I also think this is the real reason it is not listed for our application.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:24 PM

i had a 99 2500 with the factory "hd" front end and it did not look like my 2001 front end, it also did not wander all over the road but as i recall i had a hard time getting the replacement parts
Old 08-24-2011, 04:30 PM

so the wondering issue you have. my issues with wondering were mostly cured by putting a better trac-bar on.. using the 3rd gen style trac-bar.. I have had my current one from DT-profab on for almost 3 years. and its trouble free. before I lifted the truck I had a DSS trac bar adjustable and that with the steering box/shaft brace from DSS my wondering is no more.
with every thing I have with 37" tires i can drive 70mph and let go of the wheel and the truck doesn't move.. I know this is not scientific but compare this to the before.. when I could move my steering wheel 4-5" either way and not even make the truck turn.. the upgraded HD. T-style steering. I liked the idea of this with bigger tires and the design allows a constant toe. i will check out the 4th gen style when the current 98-99 HD version wears out. but I doubt it will cause I have a lifetime warranty with moog chassis parts from napa..

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=253484

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=250591

these are other thread of mine and one I added pics of my steering in..
Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Polaraco
I wouldn't believe anything coming from that snake pit.
No more mis-information than here. DieselBombers can give false data also. Gotta be careful regarding the advice you take. People have a tendency to like what they have done. That accounts comments like "it only hits in a tight turn" Or "I love my truck but it steers like crap after I've spent thousands and changed every part in the front end".
Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Completed my t type conversion recently and my results were completely different. I upgraded everything I could. Redhead box, ttype tierods, control arm bushings,poly swaybar bushings, steering stabilizer, bilstein shocks, New tires. Hell, I even changed the rear leafs to poly and the steerings tight but, and its a bigggg but, it's all over the road when towing and changing lanes at highway speed. Had my local diesel 2nd gen expert here in Boise look at it and can't find anything loose. Had an expert spring shop guy second the check and all he could come up with is maybe the tires are so new,500 miles on em, it's hunting the road. So I'm looking for someone to swap tires for the day. Sorry, had ta vent. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Quick Reply: 4th gen steering upgrade on a 2nd gen