2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

2nd. Gen Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 96 has bee trouble free, except the usual matenance that comes with 158k miles.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:27 PM

i say an 89 ext. cab , but we all seem to think the same here, maybe ford should have been a bit more on the ball
Old 02-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Banned

Ford, are you kidding me whats so great about a Ford? Put a Cummins in a 97 F350? Give me a break. Ill take a Dodge gasser over that hunk a junk any day of the week. Get real.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:42 PM

I tell you, of the Fords I had, none of them gave me a tenth of the trouble my dodge has. I love the Cummins, but the rest of the truck, I'm not crazy about. Electrical gremlins all over, and its rusting much more than it should be. Maybe my truck is worse than others, but everything I've seen on here, its not that much out of the norm.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scramblinman
94-98 12v: KDP. Cheap if fixed before it falls out. Usually very expensive afterwards.

98.5-02 24v: VP44 injection pump and electric lift pumps. Ponying up for a quality lift pump system and monitoring fuel pressure supposedly reduces the chances of the VP44 dying, but they can and do fail. A rebuilt injection pump alone is over $1,000.

All years: Automatics are weak, especially if the motor is turned up.

All years: NV4500 5th gear will eventually come lose.

All years: NV5600 6 speed is an orphan transmission with parts and repair being expensive.

All years: Steering on 4WD models needs help. Steering box stabilizer and track bar upgrade at a minimum.

All years: Little stuff that goes wrong with any brand. Electrical and vacuum system in particular.
Although all this info is true...If you ask me most of this statement seems exaggerated...alteast makes it sound worse than it is. I've had 3 Dodge cummins as you can see in my sig. And have had to replace 2 ball joints on one side, the other side was good, and a VP44 under warranty of course. And all this was on my 02' those were the only major problems I had with it. Some trucks are worse, some trucks are better, just depends on if it was built on friday or not but with the Cummins that you get with it and a few mods its definitely worth it!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by CASMOKIN
Ford, are you kidding me whats so great about a Ford? Put a Cummins in a 97 F350? Give me a break. Ill take a Dodge gasser over that hunk a junk any day of the week. Get real.
what is wrong with ford?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:46 PM

its a ford ! thats what is wronge with it!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:58 PM

I am not happy with dodge at all. EVERYTHING needs replacing except the cummins block. vp44, lift pump, ball joints, apps, track bar, steering and on and on. I do love the cummins engine. I wish I could get a ford body with a cummins engine and a alison tranny
Old 02-28-2007, 02:27 PM

They are all the same

I have had Chevy's, fords and Dodges over the past 35yrs and I can truthfully say they all had a problem or two and the problems with electrical was evident in all the brands. My 2002 Dodge has been the best truck I have owned. 102,000 miles and never seen a major repair on anything. It is not super bombed or anything but it tows great and rides fine. Every brand has a lemon and the guys who get them are the most likely to be screaming. I had a 98 Dodge and traded it in because it was a truck with demons. I had a 93 Ford 7.3 international with a Banks turbo and man that truck was great but after 300,000 miles there was not much left on it that wasn't broke or needing repair. My opinion of Dodge is that they have stepped up and make a great truck compared to years ago and with the Cummins they have the whole package.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by MTGunNut
so would you say Id be better off getting a dodge or a Ford and dropping a Cummins into it?
I'm not a real fan of swapping engines between various manufacturer's products. Might be I just to lazy to mess with it but every time I've seen it tried it seemed more hassle then it was worth.

Personally, I'd go with a 96-02 Dodge if I found one in good shape. The key things to look for would be the condition of the tranny if an auto and the presence of a fuel pressure gauge on the 24vs and verify the fuel pressure was good. My second choice would be an older 7.3L Ford; however, I just not that fond of Fords in general for no particular reason.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 PM

my 02 runs fine with no big problems. Just have to keep it maintained, serviced, and keep the fuel above half to be on the safe side. From what I hear the auto trans can be a problem particularly if you add hp and more torque.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:51 PM

I think the Cummins a better engine than the Fords. Little problems here and there with the body come with any used truck. It's not like the Ford body is way better than the Dodge. Just depends on how the truck was treated and maintained. I'd say get a 12 valve Dodge between the years 94 to 98.5. Mechanical engine, not too many electrics and computers to deal with. Although 24v's are great motors too, just don't let the fuel pump issue get you down into thinking you made the wrong choice.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 PM

any problems with the vacuum system?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Banned

No moreso than the vacuum systems from any other automobile manufacturer, in my opinion. As the plastic and rubber pieces age or are exposed to fuels, lubricants, battery acid, etc, they can become overly brittle or soft and fail, just like everyone elses.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 PM

There have been a few. But they don't seem to significant. Most of the vacuum related issues have be with regard to the cruise control and the hose in the vicinity of the firewall. The vacuum problems associated with the cruise are usually due to battery acid as the vacuum hoses are routed under the battery. Most of the issues are with the connection at the firewall but that is just because the vacuum hose gets disconnected at a T fitting (usually you can tell because the heat won't move from the defrost setting). A few problems have also occurred at the front axle 4x4 select assembly due to a loose connection again easily fixed. The most serious problem would be the reports of the vacuum pump failing but they seem pretty rare.

Quick Reply: 2nd. Gen Problems.