2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

2nd Gen headlight thread....Let's see what you got

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:43 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the relay mod with sport upgrades to mine as well. Used Daniel sterns RIK-RAM kit. Mad a HUGE difference. I was not able to afford OEM at the time and got the ebay units, but am saving my pennies to someday get OEM housings. I just used normal everyday headlamps. I had the ones from my stock housings, and the replacements came with bulbs too. Plus I already had a set of spares in the truck. That was about a year and a half ago and still have not had to change the bulbs. I figure when I finally do have to get bulbs I will take Daniels recommendation, he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

FWIW, I would highly recommend Daniel Sterns kit. It comes with 10 guage fused leads for the battery connection to the relays, then I used 12 guage wire in three different colors for easy identification (high beam, low beam and ground). I had to build the darn thing twice cause I didn't know that our trucks are negatively switched. Kinda dumb I know, but live and learn. All in I think I had about 300 into it. Off hand I can't remember what Daniels RIK-RAM cost, the housings were 110 each and the wire was about 30. Then there was the black wire loom but it was maybe 5 bucks at napa. I did make sure to solder and heat shrink all of the connections though, figured it would help with vibration.

Don't know how much the dents on my forehead cost me after I had to rewire everything, but my wife sure got a good laugh out of it!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
actually that is correct operation i believe. you need to have the DRL unplugged in order to run a relayed harness. you can put a jumper wire in the harness side of the DRL plug to correct the high beam indicator issue. i don't remember which pins need to be jumped - but a creative search on here may yield a good result for you . . .

if you are worried about not having DRL - you can buy a kit from daniel stern which activates the ambers on 100% as the DRL, then normal operation as soon as the headlight switch turns from the 'off' position.

bottom of the page here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html
I'm going to order his Park light DRL,
is yours hooked up with the DRL missing??
I read a wiring diagram, and see what colors need to be connected, just never got that far yet

I did send him an E-mail and he send me back a crap load of info. even how to disable a functioning DRL (and keep hi beam indicator.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by nickg
I'm going to order his Park light DRL,
is yours hooked up with the DRL missing??
I read a wiring diagram, and see what colors need to be connected, just never got that far yet

I did send him an E-mail and he send me back a crap load of info. even how to disable a functioning DRL (and keep hi beam indicator.
i will probably order his DRL kit also.

yes, i run my truck right now without DRL. but i have the jumper wire to correct the high beam indicator.

everytime i send him an email with a simple question i also get a ton of info back. all good info too . . .
Old 03-22-2010, 12:19 AM

I think my mistake was I used the ground/hi/low signal from only 1 headlight, gonna try using low signal off right headlight and the hi signal off the other head light, I did try using a shared "ground" and not enough current to solidly trip the relays....
gonna give another kick at the cat.
thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 AM

I think I may have found the problem, actually 2 of them... once I finish fixing it I'll update it.

I fixed the hi-beam indicator, just had to jumper pin #3 and #6 together. that I think was the reason for the relays to start working properly, once I've finished it I'm gonna un jumper the Hi-beam, and see if the previous issues return, that should confirm that the hi-beam issue need to be addressed first
Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I built my own harness after I found at the local AutoValue a set of high temperature 9004 plugs for use with high wattage bulbs. DojDewd had a thread long ago about buying plugs to build his harness and these ones came with 16 gauge wires on them already. 2 relays and plugs into the harness at the DRL module plug for all the controls and the light improvement in the stock lenses was noticable. The stock harness is junk. I did ground each light harness closest to each light/battery negative connector instead of running a ground across from the drivers to passenger side.