2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

2500 to dually conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2500 to dually conversion

what would I have to do the rear , to switch a srw to drw? will the Arrowcraft kit look stock? or just get a dually bed ?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:07 AM

h

uggggggghhhhh
Old 10-05-2006, 01:37 PM

I think your best bet is to trade/sell your 3/4 for a 1ton. Is there any advantage in doing it yourself? I can only imagine how expensive a kit would be.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrowcraft does make good kits.....don't have a clue as to the complete kit cost. I know I certainly wouldn't bother doing a conversion. I looked into this myself when I had my 2500 - it just wasn't worth it. I could have an OEM dually (much better, IMO...unless you find a dually box) for significantly less cost by simply selling the 2500 and buying a 3500. So, guess what I ended up doing?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:51 PM
JAX

I'm looking into the project as well. Only I will be ditching the bed and adding a flatbed to the truck. So this is much more cost effective to me. As far as the beds go, I would look at local machine shops that sell & install flatbeds. Usually they offer to buy the pickup beds they remove from the trucks and they either sell them to the public or to body shops. The body shops around here always have 2 or 3 dually beds out front. As far as the parts for the conversion, I will get all the spacers and 1 ton springs and overloads from the dealership.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM

I put an Arrow kit on my 93-w250 it was a lot of work and money, Arrow makes a good kit but It does not replace a factory dually and I would not do it again. just my 2-cents
Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 PM

Just replacing the rear axle, adding dual wheels (and two more $185 tires) and a new bed to your truck, does not a dually make.

Now for a flatbed, this conversion would make sense, and you could have the option of leaving single rear wheels if your loads won't be overally heavy.

May I ask - why would you really want to do this anyway? I know they look nice, but have you actually driven a dually on snow? Since you don't list where you reside statewise, this may be a genuine concern you should consider. It's a whole different animal in the snow than a SRW would be...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think

you can PM Patrick Campbell on here, he did his conversion to a 2500, he can help ya..

Rick
Old 10-06-2006, 04:44 PM
JAX

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Just replacing the rear axle, adding dual wheels (and two more $185 tires) and a new bed to your truck, does not a dually make.

Now for a flatbed, this conversion would make sense, and you could have the option of leaving single rear wheels if your loads won't be overally heavy.

May I ask - why would you really want to do this anyway? I know they look nice, but have you actually driven a dually on snow? Since you don't list where you reside statewise, this may be a genuine concern you should consider. It's a whole different animal in the snow than a SRW would be...
I know you probably weren't talking to me here, but I'll bite. I will not have to change my axle since I already have the D80 rear. I'll put the one ton springs on it, and probably add the springs for a 1 ton front with the snow plow package. So besides the suspension components and rear axle, what are the differences between a 3500 and 2500. I know there is no difference in the frame. I don't care about the GVW being the same because I don't tow commercially. I do, however, tow with a gooseneck and the stability factor between the SRW and DRW are immeasurable IMO. And were I live, here in Wyoming, we don't get a whole lot of snow, but we do get ice, LOTS of ice. I have 4WD, so I'm not that concerned. If it does become a problem, (the detroit in the rear sure will be fun! ) then I'll probably look at running studded tires in the winter. As far as why not just buying a dually, because my truck is set up the way that I want, and I know the history of my truck. I know that I've taken care of it, it hasn't been idled for long periods of time, or had hot shut downs, or been overheated with excessive egrs. It's more a matter of comfort than anything else.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:41 PM

I live in NY Long Island. I am not concerned about snow.Like JAX said I just want the stability of DRW but I dont need the GVW I just tow a 20' enclosed trailer with a mustang in it ( not the horse) and I like MY truck.
I emailed Arrowcraft for some info,Ill see what they say.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:40 AM

well I am in the process of converting to a single wheel.. If you need any of the spacers or such just let me know. I have the factory fron hub extentions and wheels for you so If you are interested let me know!!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:31 AM

the arrowcraft kits make the rear end WAY too wide!!, my cousin tried this on a 99' 2500, & it looked horrible, he ended up swapping in a cab & chassis rear axle & it had a factory look then, the rear springs should be the same if you already have overloads & all you need in the front are the adapters & there are usually a few sets on ebay reasonable, if you're goin with a flatbed I'd try & find a C&C axle for the rear, if not you may be satisfied with the Arrowcraft spacers, but I was told that the outside tires on the rear would stick out past the factory fenders a couple inches, the lady at Arrowcraft said that I could put, "some of those little rubber fender flares on it & that's all I would need"!! LOL I decided to swap trucks rather than go through the hassle, good luck whatever you decide, Dusty
Old 10-30-2006, 05:59 PM

well i finished mine yesterday and i love it ...

i had a cab and chassis dana 80 for a year now ...

had 35's and 3rd gen rims ... sold them for the same price as six third gen rims, tires, hubcaps and lug nuts

bought the front spacers for 100$ a piece ...

bought warn flares for 200$ ... because the c/c was 1" more narrow per side than a srw the flares cover all but about 1/2" of rubber ... looks sharp and no more ping ping on the gravel road i live on ... hopefully johnny law will leave me alone

this is great

couple more leaves will go underneath this weekend

hmmm ... drivetrains the same ... frames the same i guess two more tires does a dually make ... bad in the snow ... wow we get snow a lot around here and i have'nt a rash of duallys in the ditch
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 AM

i have a 96 dually and a 94 single could i just pull the rearend from the dually and put it on my single and put the single where the dually was? u bolts are the only thing holding it on right? do you guys know if i can do this?thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Banned

^^^ it would work. i just did it to mine

Quick Reply: 2500 to dually conversion