2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

$100 Reward

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it has fire with the switch turned on and it has ground.....I am guessing it is bad? anymore guess? Why does it not go thru the self check?

Anyone have one ofr a 1994 to 1997 Dodgeram with rwal?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:36 PM

I talked to a Dodge tech about your problem and he said it sounds like a bad ground at your abs computer or the abs computer itself.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:36 AM

I have the Dodge Service manual for my 1998. I have been through all the sections that pertain to the brakes/abs several times and reading these posts several times. There are a few things that seem to be wrong, at least when applying them to the 1998. I don't know how different they are to the 96.

1. When you turn your key on most of the lights on the dash come on for a reason. Most are just checking the function of the lamps and go out via a timer. The ABS/Brake lights come on to test the lamps as well as to complete a systems check. They do not blink during this test. Once the test is over they go out (assuming that there are no problems).

2. When a problem arrises it is picked up by the "RAM" and stored on the "ROM" on the "CAB" and the "ABS" light is illuminated.

3. The "ABS/Brake light will now remain illuminated after every self self test on start up. No blinking.

4. The only ways to turn off the "ABS/Brake" light is to fix the problem and then according to the service manual go 50 engine start cycles or use either an "MDS" or "DRB III" scan tool to clear the "ROM".

5. The problem with going 50 start cycles after replacing something is you don't know if that has fixed the problem until you have gone 50 start cycles. If the light goes out you fixed it. If the light does not go out you either did not fix the right component or something else has gone wrong. Easier to use a scan tool to clear it right away to see if your fix was correct.

6. A more difficult problem is when the "ABS/Brake" light is intermittent. Once they come on they should not go off until the problem is solved and either 50 start cycles have gone without any other problem or the memory has been cleared with an appropriate scan tool. An intermittent light would seem to indicate a problem with the "RAM"/"ROM" in the "CAB" or some kind of short between the "CAB" and the "ABS/Brake" lamps in the instrument cluster.

7. As my "ABS/Brake" lights come on intermittently (sometimes comes on into a trip and then turns off ) (sometimes the light stays on after start up system check and then goes out later into the trip). This indicates that the "CAB" memory is failing. There is probably a problem with the system and the "CAB" records it and lights the "ABS/Brake" light but then the memory fails and looses it and the lights go out. That is why you would need to jump the 2 wires at the scan tool input connector under the dash when the lights illuminate. As when they go out the "CAB" has lost the code do to a falty "RAM/ROM". So even if you do pull the code off the "CAB" while the truck is on and the light is illuminated and you fix that problem you still have a failing "CAB".

8. The system appears to be basically the same for RWAL and AWAL.

I have seen many scan tools that say they read the ABS codes on foreign and domestic vehicles but they do not say whether or not they can clear the codes. I am contacting a couple of manufacturers to find out. These tools are spendieeeee.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:58 AM

Just got off the phone with tech support at Snap-on and they informed me that with thier diagnostic scan tools using the new 5.2 software that you can read and clear dodge truck "ABS" fault codes. So dealer only is not correct.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yippee, now I can run out and spend $895 for the 5.2 software that only applies to rigs almost ten years old.
Think I'd rather take it to the dealer.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:37 PM

Infidel,
Buy it or not, it makes no difference to me. I was simply attempting to point out that there are scan tools in the market to buy as well as at shops that will hook up to our trucks and read and clear. The dealer is not the only option. The dealer may or may not be the best option depending on the circumstances in your particular area.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:33 PM

now that i've read all this, if the pedal feels good, and you can stop without dragging your foot on the ground just put a piece of black tape over the abs light and forget about it.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:09 PM

Well, lets see

I was so mad at this truck and this ABS problem that I went to trade it and about <edit> when I seen the prices of the new cummins, I am already a hater of all the new electronics so I quickly said no way!!!

I posted about this ABS problem and I got some really good ideas but no one hit it right. I found the problem today and now the truck is fixed!!! I said it is FIXED!!!!

I spent 11 hours going thru the brake system from front to rear and I have checked all vaccum lines, wires,sensors,valves...ect.... well it ended up being the "Vaccum sensor" beside the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side. I did not have a qlue to what it was or did. I just knew my ABS light stayed on. I have replaced that and Now see is like new again!!!!

I love my truck and will keep it forever!!!!!

thanks Guys!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Banned

sheesh, way to go claim your own 100 buck reward.....
Old 04-27-2005, 11:24 PM

Wow that was quite a test you put us thru. I almost was worried about it.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:38 PM

Bleeding the brake lines, got rid of mine in my tahoe. Check all your fuses as that can cause a light to come on
Old 07-02-2006, 07:14 PM

Don't know if your truck has a speed sensor on the rear differential. Mine did the same thing. I replaced the speed sensor and it cured that plus several other problems.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Banned

Hey Hiper,

I think you should check/replace the Vacuum sensor. You can paypal me at joliver@hatci.com

- JyRO
Old 07-13-2006, 04:13 PM

WOW!!

OLD THREAD.

dan
Old 07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

YIKES! I didn't even notice or realize. Sorry to dredge it up. I was doing a SEARCH for ABS problems.

Quick Reply: $100 Reward