24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this work?

Could I just use a gauge like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...477063888&rd=1

to put on top of my fuel filter on my 98' 24-valve to check fuel pressure while under the hood. I don't have enough money right now to buy gauges for in the cab, but thought it would be convenient to be able to check it while under the hood.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as it is compatible with Diesel fuel, I don't see why not.

You won't be able to get an accurate "WOT" reading, but will be able to test at idle no problem.

phox
Old 05-04-2004, 11:30 PM

That'll work, but you should prolly have a 0-30 psi guage.....

I personally think you would be better off saving your money and using it to get the correct guage to mount in the cab. The pressure reading at idle isnt very representative of lift pump health and means next to nothing. You want to measure at W.O.T.. I say save your money and get a good mechanical ISSPRO FP guage with some braided hose or similar. That way you dont have to screw around with senders and isolators, IMO.

OR get yourself a Brair Hopper temporary FP guage that u can tape to the windsheild. www.blackmountaindiesel.com

Good Luck with it.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:13 AM

Thanks for the info. What about this westach gauge from geno's. I would be able to get this:

http://216.167.41.9/CoastalData/show...ID=891&CATID=1

Let me know if westach is any good, if not I guess I'll have to start saving up for the ISSPRO. I don't have time tonight, but tomorrow I will research this. Any feedback would be great.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:07 AM

change your profile so that you can accept private messages or e-mails and Ill give ya a bit more info.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:57 PM

Done.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:39 PM

fuel pressure hook up

if i am going to check my fuel press under the hood can i just hook it to the vp schrader to check it or do i need to go elsewhere?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:14 PM
DPG

I've had the Westach 0-30 FP gauge for just over two years now, and it's worked flawlessly. I originally had the 0-15, and had to order the 0-30 because the 0-15 kept getting stuck at the top of the gauge when at idle.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:27 PM

You can get a Genuine AutoMeter gauge,, Summit Part # ATM-2172 for $29, and free shipping, that's only $4-5 more than e-bay.

Merrick
Old 05-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: fuel pressure hook up

Originally posted by jigdog
if i am going to check my fuel press under the hood can i just hook it to the vp schrader to check it or do i need to go elsewhere?
That's what it's there for.
If you take it in complaining of low power, that's where the Dodge tech will test it as well.

phox
Old 05-06-2004, 08:40 PM

thanks phox i was pretty sure of that.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Banned

I do not recommend the mechanicals in the cab. I have installed & taken out the second ISSPRO in less than a month. I am using steel braid line. The guages keep leaking all over my dash. I am going to try a WESTACH when I get around to ordering one. I have gotten MIXED results from everyone that has tried them. The ISSPROS keep leaking around the little rivets at the top of the guage on the back. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I like burning diesel, but I don't like in my cab.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by CAPTCOOL
I do not recommend the mechanicals in the cab. I have installed & taken out the second ISSPRO in less than a month. I am using steel braid line. The guages keep leaking all over my dash. I am going to try a WESTACH when I get around to ordering one. I have gotten MIXED results from everyone that has tried them. The ISSPROS keep leaking around the little rivets at the top of the guage on the back. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I like burning diesel, but I don't like in my cab.
My Isspro fp gauge has been in for almost 2 months, and no problems w/ leaks. Did you use any type of thread-loc? I made sure to use enough for peace of mind w/ my install. From what I've read, if you do it right and take your time, you shouldn't have to worry about a thing. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:40 AM

I put a similar little (1.5") autometer on top of my fuel filter housing and it has served me well. I usually take a quick peak about once a week to make sure I still have pressure. The lift pump that went south on me did so gradually, working it's way down to about 8-9psi at idle. I just keep an I on it, and get my wife to stab the throttle so I can see what it does while my head is under the hood.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Banned

I agree with DD4x4. I've had mine in little longer than he has and I haven't had any leaks at all. I didn't use any thread lock either. I just tightened them down very tight.

Quick Reply: Will this work?