24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

weird brake probelms, need help really bad.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird brake probelms, need help really bad.

2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 (cummins). So we did a brake job on it today which consisted of, replaced front pads and calibers, rear rotors and pads and also a rear axle seal since it was leaking and why not. Any ways, we bled the brakes real well and i got in and drove it. Now my ABS and BREAK light are on but our code reader isnot reading any codes. Also the brakes only lock up the rear tires and have VERY VERY little brake feel, meaning you push them down and from the point at the floor to where they stop braking is like maybe an inch. Its very sloppy for sure. Im not sure if something with the power steering brake booster has anything to do with it.
PS: When i replaced the front calibers i let the line that holds the brake fluid drip for a good while.... not sure if that has to do with any of it. Any help tonight would be great, got a full day of cutting i have to do tommorow. Thanks a bunch fellers!
TC
Old 03-28-2009, 12:09 AM

I'd say you still have air in the system, likely if you let the hoses drip, I'm guessing you have 4wheel ABS?, usually its not a good idea to let the system drain. a good trick to keep the system from draining is to prop a stick between the brake pedal and the seat, push the seat forward just enough to depress the brake pedal enough to turn the brakelites on, now when the hydralic system is opened NO brake fluid will run out.

again just a guess but I suspect you still have air in the system. start at the wheel furthest from the Master cyl (so RR then LR then LF then RF), there also should be a procedure to bleed the ABS pump assy, I remember there are some vehs that there are warnings to not allow the system to run dry of brake fluid...
Old 03-28-2009, 12:13 AM

okay ill try that! Yeah we bled the system i think like 4 times but not in that specific order.