24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Want to replace LP, Need Advice

Old 06-08-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to replace LP, Need Advice

I apologize in advance for all the ?s I am about to ask....

Just had my vp44 replaced last week under warranty, they did nothing with the lift pump... and I dont have a fuel pressure gauge installed..yet.

Im going to sound like a complete idiot, but I am not particularly savvy with making modifications to a vehicle... no experience on my own and nobody around to coach me... but I want to learn.... I have read the threads on here for hours on end, but cant wrap my head around all the information... I need someone to lay it out there for me....that said....

I would like to install a FP gauge, and put a new fuel pump on to replace the stock lift pump... (keep in mind I would like to keep the install simple, but effective)

Gauges:

Looked at genos at Autometer FP gauges and steering column mount. Do most gauges run over $200 like these or are there more cost effective models out there? (I understand there is safety issues with mechanical gauges in the driver compartment, so I dont want to do that) Would a gauge from these guys come with directions for installation?

Fuel Pumps:

I know FASS is talked about quite a bit on here, but I got a quote on one of these for $600 for the unit and $200 installation... I would like to keep this project under that if at all possible. If I go with a Holley Blue, or something like this, is there somewhere I can get installation recommendations for my truck? Vulcan big line kits have also been talked about a lot, is it a good idea to put this on? Is it compatable with a Holley Blue?

I guess the bottom line is I am looking for something relatively easy to install, and not overly pricey, that is still effective...

I know I have left some question out....

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:02 AM

I will try to answer some of your questions the best I can with my little melon.

I personally went with the Vulcan kit as at the time money and need were a main concern. The kit is simple,great instructions, some of the best customer service I have seen! I went from 14 psi at idle to 16 psi with just this kit. Contact Eric, he will answer any questions you may have about his kits.This kit will work fine for a stock or slightly modified truck.

www.vulcanperformance.com

I am now looking into either the Walbro kit from Glacier or an FASS as my future plans are for more Hp and I don't think the stock LP will support it the way I want.

I have heard good things about the newest FASS.

You may want to check out

www.glacierdieselpower.com
www.sourceautomotive.biz

As for the gauge question I went with the Autometer Ultralite 30psi in the dash cubby hole. With the Vulcan kit it is a snap as Eric gives you the fitting to tap in for the sending unit and can supply most of the other parts you will need for the install. The gauge isn't the cheapest but it matched my others.

If you have anymore questions PM me and I will try to answer.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:57 AM

where in southeast wisconsin are ya?