24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP44 Problems...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VP44 Problems...HELP!!!

Alright...... I posted several threads last week asking for advice on what kind of VP44 to buy for 01 Dodge to replace the HO that went out on my truck. I have 80hp injectors, fass fuel system and a 120hp power edge box. I was told by everyone who commented on that thread to replace it with a SO VP44 for the best results, and so I did...

Now that the new SO VP44 is on, my truck is peaking around 24psi of boost, where it used to peak at 36psi. It does not blow hardly any smoke, even with the box turned all of the way up, where it used to smoke like an old coal burning train! Does anyone know what the problem is, or did I just take some bad advice and am getting the results that should be expected from a lower output pump..

Its just that by the way I understood all the comments, with the fuel system upgrades and the power edge box that I have on my 24 valve(HO), it was not neccasary for me to get a HO or a hot rod replacement. It was kind of hard for me to believe then, even harder now! Please, someone with more knowledge than I have help me out with this problem. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HO vp44 does give more fuel than a SO pump to a point, but the SO pump can make more hp. If you buy a box & install it on a HO truck, you will get less HP than on a SO truck. Thing is, you need the SO ecm to make the extra hp.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks... I'm not very technical.... I'm guessing ecm would be computer? If so, have any idea how expensive that would be to get done?! What needs to be done to best accomidate the SO that I put on my truck? Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbhester
Thanks... I'm not very technical.... I'm guessing ecm would be computer? If so, have any idea how expensive that would be to get done?! What needs to be done to best accomidate the SO that I put on my truck? Thanks again for the help.
Well, I'm no expert either. Just telling you what I've read on here. I think your computer could be reflashed to work, but not sure.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking about it this way:
The SO pump doesn't fuel as heavy as the HO pump; so, less fuel - less heat in the exhaust for the turbine to extract its work from. The less work the turbine has to drive a compressor, then the less availible work the compressor has to pump air. Thus, it all translates to less overall boost.

I don't know alot about the differences between the SO and HO other than a HO pump generally will deliver more volume of fuel for more power, but I would have probably stuck to what the truck had in it to begin with being it is an HO engine right?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:30 PM

My understanding from reading here is that the HO dumps more on the low end, but the SO pump has a higher overall volume, therefore does better at the top end. In the end, you've lost some fuel due to the pump switch. If you aren't happy, then you took bad advice. You want your fuel back, go bigger on your injectors and you'll get your smoke and power back.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:22 PM

Thanks again for all the comments.

After talking with a guy named Bob Wagner at "smartypower.com", apparently, using a smarty programmer you can set the ecm to the settings that go along with the SO pump, or however that works..... also, with the Smarty I should be able to get my fuel back, right? The way I understand it, the HO puts out more actual pressure, but the SO puts out more volumn. So, hypothetically speaking, when you put the smarty with the SO, you should get better results than if you put it with the HO, I would think.... also, when you reprogram the ecm and have it setup for the SO then it should help that much more.

Please, if anyone has comments, or corrections to my thoughts and understandings, just let me know. I'm looking for constructive criticism and advice here. Thanks again!!