24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

vp44 and fass install

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vp44 and fass install

Thanks for taking the time to read my post but i have a couple questions
on the fass kit the return from the fass goes from the pump to the fill hose and the other goes from the tank to the fass to the vp elimating the fuel filter and lift pump in the factory location correct ??

do i leave the factory return from the vp to the tank??
on the vp install do you have to replace the tubes in the valve cover like on the 3rd gen injector replacement ??
once you reconnect everything before you install the air horn it says bleed 1,2,3,4 will there be a huge fuel mess ?? i am worred about fuel gettting in the intake i alreadt plugged it with a rag thanks, jr
Old 03-17-2007, 06:04 PM

That's correct about the FASS; it's got the lift pump, water/oil seperator, and filter buit-in so it's meant to eliminate the factory components you mentioned. Some guys have mentioned that you can leave the factory filter housing in place and run the supply line from the FASS into it, thereby retaining the factory fuel heater & water-in-fuel sensor. I'm not real sure on whether the filter cartridge is suppoed to be kept in there or if you're supposed to remove it and run an empty housing. As long as you drain your FASS water seperator regularly, you shouldn't need the WIF sensor and you only need a fuel heater if you live in an extremely cold climate. I removed my stock components completely; just unplugged everything from the filter housing & bundled them together with a wire tie out of the way.

The fuel return line from the VP44 to the fuel tank must remain in place.

There is nothing you need to do with the valve cover or any tubes associated with it when replacing the VP44.

When I bled my injector lines after replacing my VP44 all I had was a small trickle from each one that ran back along the intake manifold (due to the engine's tilt to the rear) that ran harmlessly down the back of the engine to the garage floor.

Good luck--any other questions let us know
Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jr22
Thanks for taking the time to read my post but i have a couple questions
on the fass kit the return from the fass goes from the pump to the fill hose and the other goes from the tank to the fass to the vp elimating the fuel filter and lift pump in the factory location correct ??

do i leave the factory return from the vp to the tank??
on the vp install do you have to replace the tubes in the valve cover like on the 3rd gen injector replacement ??
once you reconnect everything before you install the air horn it says bleed 1,2,3,4 will there be a huge fuel mess ?? i am worred about fuel gettting in the intake i alreadt plugged it with a rag thanks, jr

Think i got you covered on a post over on Comp Diesel.....let me know if you need any more info.....
Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 PM

everything went well and after about 5 hrs or so i was back on the road Thanks, Jr